Pro-Life Group Claims Planned Parenthood Clinic Didn’t Call 911 to Report Botched Abortion That Killed Woman
Last month, TheBlaze told you about the tragic story surrounding Tonya Reaves, a 24-year-old woman who died after receiving an abortion at a Chicago-area Planned Parenthood clinic. Now, in the wake of her death, one pro-life group is demanding that a criminal investigation be launched after alleging that clinic staffers failed to call 911 to report the complications.
As previously reported, Reaves passed away from a hemorrhage and complications as a result of what CBS Chicago called a “dilation and evacuation.” According to the medical examiner, the pregnancy, itself, was a contributing factor in Reaves’ demise, but the details initially seemed murky. The death is being ruled an accident.
Operation Rescue, a non-profit that works to end abortion, is taking aim at Planned Parenthood, claiming negligence and a failure to alert emergency workers of the botched abortion. The organization purportedly confirmed with the Office of Emergency Management and Communications for the City of Chicago that only one call was made to 911 on July 20, the day of the incident.
However, this call allegedly had nothing to do with Reaves, who perished later that evening (the abortion was performed around 11 a.m.). The Christian Post has more about the details surrounding Reaves’ treatment and death in the wake of the botched abortion:
It was not until 4:30 p.m. when a fire department ambulance took the 24-year-old woman to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Doctors performed an ultrasound, then another D&E procedure but more problems arose. Another ultrasound was performed at which point they discovered a perforation. At 10:12 p.m. an “uncontrollable bleed” was discovered when she was taken back to surgery.
Reaves was pronounced dead at 11:20 p.m.
“This information shows gross negligence in the way Planned Parenthood managed Reaves’ medical emergency. Delays in getting her the care she needed were intentional,” said Cheryl Sullenger, senior policy advisor for the group. “It crosses the line into what is likely criminal conduct.”
Operation Rescue got a hold of the single 911 call. It can be heard here. In it, there is no mention of Reaves’ condition. Instead, the caller reports an incident involving a 16-year-old girl who was purportedly assaulted by her mother. As a result of these factors, Operation Rescue is advocating for a criminal investigation into the clinic’s operations.
The organization has also put together a video timeline of Reaves’ plight to further show what it believes is carelessness on the part of Planned Parenthood. Watch it, below:
Operation Rescue isn’t the only group looking to clear up the details that unfolded that day. Reaves’ family, too, has been seeking answers.
“We were born the same day. She was my other half,” Toni, Reaves twin sister, told CBS Chicago. “It happened so fast. She was just fine one day and then the next day she was gone. We’re just trying to figure out what happened.”
Last month, TheBlaze also noted that Planned Parenthood of Illinois CEO Carole Brite responded to Reaves’ demise, writing in a statement that the organization is “shocked and saddened” after learning about the incident. “Our hearts go out to the loved ones of this patient,” she continued.
Beyond that, Brite made it clear that the organization wouldn’t be sharing further details about the death. She continued:
“While legal abortion services in the United States have a very high safety record, a tragedy such as this is devastating to loved ones and we offer our deepest sympathies. Planned Parenthood of Illinois cares deeply about the health and safety of each and every patient. We do not publicly discuss private patient matters and we follow HIPAA laws that forbid the disclosure of patient information.”
While some are holding Planned Parenthood responsible for not reporting the incident, there are no details regarding when, in fact, Reaves started experiencing complications. It is entirely possible that she was already home or had left the clinic when the situation turned dire.
Pending a legal drama unfolds, some of these more uncertain elements were certainly come to light.
(H/T: The Christian Post)
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 419 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 370 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 296 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 106 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 210 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 170 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senators warm to transportation nominee
- Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- HP's slumps deepens in 2Q as earnings fall 32 pct
- Faith healers charged with murder after 2nd death
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
- Soldier charged with videotaping women