Controversial TN Mosque to Officially Open Today With Midday Prayer
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (TheBlaze/AP) — It’s been a long-fought battle, but it’s finally opening day for a Tennessee mosque after opponents waged a two-year court battle trying to stop it.
Leaders of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro say they intend to hold midday prayers in the new building Friday.
Their quest to see the house of worship open took a turn in April when opponents of the then-proposed mosque made their case against it at trial. Then, construction was subsequently nearly halted in May when a state court ruled the public didn’t get enough notice that the center was planned.
Last month, a federal judge granted the mosque’s request for an emergency order that would open the building in time for the holy month of Ramadan, which is still under way.
The controversy came with some bizarre elements as well. Eric Allen Bell, a liberal filmmaker, came out in support of the mosque and even began putting together a film defending its creation back in 2012. Oddly, he reportedly changed sides this year and began fighting against the house of worship.
Rutherford County officials cleared the building for use by issuing a temporary occupancy permit this week. WBIR has more about the steps that will need to be taken to secure a permanent occupancy certificate:
David Jones, director of the county’s Building Codes Department, said some landscaping work remains to be done at the mosque. Some minor work remains to be done on the fire alarm as well, said the state fire marshal’s office.
Once that work is completed, a permanent occupancy permit can be issued.
“We are hoping to build bridges with the rest of the community, especially with those who might have second thoughts about our congregation,” said mosque board member Saleh Sbenaty, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Mosque leaders say they hope the joy the worshippers feel can now be shared by the community southeast of Nashville.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 159 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 112 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Afghan students protest women's rights decree
- Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
- World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony