Have You Seen the Woman With the Mysterious Illness Growing Human Nails Instead of Hair? ‘It’s a Nightmare’
In 2009, an allergic reaction to medication treating an asthma attack left Shanyna Isom with an uncontrollable itch that eventually developed into hard bumps all over her body. It took two years before doctors finally figured out what was happening to her: instead of growing hair, she was growing nails — like those on fingers — in the follicles’ place.
As of July 31, 2012, Isom wrote on her Facebook page that it had been a full year since she had lost all of her hair to the mysterious illness.
Doctors are still trying to determine how exactly to cure Isom, who is thought to be the only person in the world with this condition. WMCTV reports that the 28-year-old Memphis woman has to be helped by friends and family to simply rise from her bed and perform other daily activities:
“As of right now, I am the only one in the world with my illness,” Isom said.
While Johns Hopkins researchers work to cure her, loved ones rally around her.
“We know that God is a healer and he’s going to bring her through,” Carrie Isom, Shanyna’s Grandmother said.
“At this point I just do everything I can to get the help that’s needed for her,” said Shanyna’s friend Tolungia Webb.
“I love her and I know that she’s gonna get better,” friend Karintha Rawls said.
It was in 2011 when Isom was accepted into Johns Hopkins University that doctors were finally able to diagnose just what was going on with her body. They found out her hair follicles were producing 12 times the number of cells than they should have been, causing develop human nails to develop instead of hair.
“Where hair grows, nails are growing,” Isom said according to WMCTV.
“It’s almost as if it’s a nightmare and you’re trying to wake up out of that,” a woman speaking about Isom said in the report.
Watch the report:
Doctors have gotten her symptoms under control but they still are working to cure her. She currently takes 17 medications, only five of which are covered by her state-issued insurance. Out-of-state care is not covered by insurance either. Due to these factors, she has about $250,000 in medical costs). On August 24, the S.A.I. Foundation created to help raise funds to cover these costs will host a fundraiser in Memphis. Someday, Isom hopes her foundation will also be able to help others suffering an unknown illness.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 425 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 389 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 115 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election
- Suicide bomber kills 3 in northwest Pakistan
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- Williams to face Tatishvili in 1st round of French
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- 'No guarantee of peace,' NKorean envoy warns China
- Brewers team up on beer to help military families