Now Obama Releases Incredible Ad Suggesting Romney Paid No Taxes
Just when we thought the White House had backed away from Harry Reid’s wild, and unsubstantiated, claim that Mitt Romney hasn’t paid taxes for the last 10 years, the Obama camp has released an incredible ad suggesting the same thing.
In a new spot that is specifically endorsed by Barack Obama, an ominous voice wonders if Romney has paid below the 13.9 percent tax rate he claims, and at one point wonders if he’s paid “0%.” It then goes on to say “we don’t know” and that it’s time for Romney to “come clean.”
Watch it below:
Forget for now that the ad as it stands is baseless. Instead, We’ll let the Glenn Beck radio crew debunk it using sheer absurdity. Here’s them mocking the claim when it first came out:
But the Reid story doesn’t end there. On Thursday afternoon HuffPo ran a story citing a top Reid aide saying that the source for the Romney tax claim happened to be a Republican, which sent the left salivating. But that claim quickly changed:
“This person is an investor in Bain Capital, a Republican also, and somebody who has been dealing with Romney’s company for a long, long time and he has direct knowledge of this,” said Reid aide Jose Parra, referring to Romney’s tax returns.
UPDATE: 7:08 p.m. – Parra now says he doesn’t know whether Reid’s source is Republican. In an email to HuffPost, he wrote:
“I do not know the party affiliation of the source, how long he invested with Bain, or his relationship to Romney beyond the fact that he was an investor with Bain Capital, as Senator Reid has previously stated.”
As for the “Son of Boss” suggestion, Business Insider has more:
The ad, “Son of Boss,” pivots off of a new CNN op-ed from tax lawyer Peter C. Canellos and tax expert Edward D. Kleinbard, which raises questions about Romney’s involvement in, and awareness of, Marriott International’s use of Son of Boss tax shelters as a member of the hotel conglomerate’s board of directors during the 1990s.
As the op-ed points out, Romney is close personal friends with the Marriott family, and joined the Marriott board of directors in 1993. He served as the board’s chairman of the audit committee from 1993 until 1998, the same time period in which Marriott used the “Son of BOSS,” tax shelter, a transaction that was later labeled “abusive” by the IRS. According to Canellos and Kleinbard, Romney, as audit chair, would have been required to approve this transaction.
The new Obama campaign ad attempts to this alleged involvement into Romney’s refusal to release his federal income tax returns, suggesting that the returns would show Romney was similarly willing to use tax shelters in to boost his personal finances.
The fact that the campaign would stoop to such a level in the ad is curious, especially considering they are embroiled in another ad scandal involving a super PAC’s ad insinuating Romney killed a steel worker’s wife. As time marches on, more evidence points to the fact that the administration knew much more about the man in that ad — a man they used in their own spot — than they are admitting to. Which begs the question: Why?
- White House says Reid speaks for himself
- Krauthammer calls Reid’s claims “hypocrisy”
- Blog: The Obama administration is lying
Follow Jonathon M. Seidl (@jonseidl) on Twitter.
This story has been updated with additional information.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 486 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 472 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 362 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 113 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 102 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- Appellate court: Berlusconi ran illegal scheme
- Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball