‘Real News From The Blaze:’ Time to Get Rid of the IRS?
The Treasury Department released a report this week that suggests supervisors in the Internal Revenue Service turned a blind eye to fraud in a program designed to collect taxes from immigrants, legal and illegal, resulting in the agency handing out potentially unlawful refund payments. The Wall Street Journal reports:
The management failures—including a focus on processing applications quickly instead of accurately—allowed the creation of fictitious identities, meaning that some people who didn’t qualify ended up with a taxpayer identification number, the Treasury inspector general for tax administration found. The result could be fraudulent tax returns, the report said. It didn’t quantify the number of such returns, if any, or the extent to which people may have received tax refunds they didn’t deserve.
The report examined one corner of the tax system, a segment that consisted of 2.9 million returns last year and resulted in $6.8 billion in refunds sent to people with taxpayer identification numbers. It is likely to add to existing concerns about identity fraud in the tax system, even though the IRS has indicated it plans to take many of the proposed corrective measures.
The IRS has recently announced a series of improvements that will take effect immediately on an interim basis in response to the Treasury findings. This is the same agency that is tasked with being the enforcement arm of Obamacare, enforcement that has been previously discussed on “Real News From The Blaze,” as incapable of applying fines, levies or criminal prosecution.
In light of the most recent report regarding supervisors’ lack of eagerness to detect fraud, along with longstanding criticisms of the agency, is it time that conservatives take a harder and more public line against the IRS? “Real News” debated this question Friday:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 228 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 167 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 116 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 137 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Conn. rail service returns to normal
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- Republican divisions may hinder party's momentum
- Life-saving face transplant performed in Poland
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- Mais non! French universities may teach in English
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed