New Obama Email: Campaign Manager Asks ‘Why the Hell Romney Picked’ Ryan? So ‘Corporate Interests’ Will Be a ‘Heartbeat from the Presidency’
In a fundraising letter that may strike some as offensive, Obama’s Campaign manager Jim Messina ponders “Why the hell” Presidential candidate Mitt Romney would pick Congressman Paul Ryan as his Vice-Presidential candidate? He answers his own question by declaring that Romney’s “calculation” is to “inspire ultraconservative ideologues and corporate interests” to donate. Later he declares that Ryan’s addition to the ticket is a reassurance will cause them to donate since they will have ”one of their own a heartbeat from the presidency.”
The email, which follows another fundraising letter from Vice President Joe Biden, claims supporters can expect “lying, distorting” ads “trashing Barack Obama.” This attack is ironic, given the latest series of pro-Obama PAC ads have blamed Mitt Romney for seemingly killing a man’s wife who had cancer.
“We’re already being outraised, and we can’t afford to fall further behind,” Messina later bemoans, “hundreds of millions more dollars” may flow into the Romney campaign.”
But as we noted yesterday, the alarming language about money is a little misleading. According to Opensecrets.org, the race is a lopsided runaway on fundraising and spending — in favor of the Obama Campaign. In fact, it really is not even close. The Obama Camp has out-raised and out-spent the Romney camp nearly 2 to 1.
See the full text of the fundraising email below:
Congressman Paul Ryan is the poster boy for the extreme Republican leadership in a Congress whose overall approval rating is 12 percent. His plan to dismantle Medicare is deeply unpopular with the general public, and especially undecided voters.
You might be wondering why the hell Romney picked this guy. But this is a strategic pick that carries real danger for us.
Here’s the calculation: Mitt Romney doesn’t need or expect Paul Ryan to convince even one undecided voter to cast their ballot for him. That’s not what he’s on the ticket for. He’s there to reassure and inspire ultraconservative ideologues and corporate interests that they will have one of their own a heartbeat from the presidency.
That means tens or even hundreds of millions more dollars for the Romney campaign and the array of outside groups supporting him — and if current trends hold, more than 90 percent of that money will be spent on TV ads — lying, distorting and trashing Barack Obama. Those ads will have more impact on undecided voters than anything Paul Ryan himself does or says.
Mitt Romney is convinced that picking Paul Ryan is a great investment for him. And his campaign is already touting the pledges and donations they’ve received as a result, with fundraising events planned for this week.
We’re already being outraised, and we can’t afford to fall further behind. Our records show that you’re still waiting to make your first online donation — now is the time.
Please donate $5 or more today:
Obama for America
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 435 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 417 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 362 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 118 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 130 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 120 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 233 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 243 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Arias jury deadlocks but must keep deliberating
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Minn. teen whose farewell song became web hit dies
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- WikiLeaks case file fight moves to federal court
- Tesla uses stock, note sale to repay government