‘Put An Obama Bumper Sticker On Your Forehead When You Do This!’: Fired-Up Romney Surrogate Calls Out CNN Host
Former New Hampshire governor and Romney campaign surrogate John Sununu (remember him?) on Tuesday got into a fierce debate with CNN’s Soledad O’Brien (remember her?) over the Romney/Ryan campaign’s approach to Medicare.
The debate began when Sununu tried to draw a distinction between Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s and Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) Medicare plans.
“I understand that this is a Republican talking point because I’ve heard it repeated over and over again,” said O’Brien. “And these numbers have been debunked, as you know, by the Congressional Budget Office.”
“No they haven’t,” Sununu responded
“Yes, they have.”
“I have the Congressional Budget Office Budget report right here,” Sununu said, revealing that he brought a copy of the report to the interview. “Go read page 13 and 14.”
“I can tell you what it says, yes,” O’Brien assured him. “It cuts a reduction in the expected rate of growth, which you know. Not cutting benefits to the elderly. Benefits will be improved. The focus is on hospitals. The focus is on health insurance.”
“He [Obama] gutted the program by $711 million!” Sununu responded. “And the fact is he reduces services to Medicare beneficiaries currently on the package. What the difference is [between the Romney and Obama plans], is that Romney says no impact to anybody 55 or over. It is clear in here that the reduction in services start on January 1, 2013 and Obama stole that money to put it into programs under Obamacare –”
“The hospitals agreed to that,” O’Brien interrupted. “The drug providers agreed to that because their theory is that what they’re going to be able to do is make up by the number of people who come into the system. It doesn’t reduce or cut the benefits. Right –”
Apparently, the former governor had had enough.
“Soledad, stop this!” he shouted. “All you’re doing is mimicking the stuff that comes out of the White House and gets repeated on the Democratic blog boards out there –”
“I’m telling you what FactCheck.com tells you,” she countered. “I’m telling you what the CBO tells you. I’m telling you what CNN’s independent analysis does.”
“Put an Obama bumper sticker on your forehead when you do this!” Sununu shot back.
“You know. Let me tell you something,” she continued. “There is independent analysis that details what this about and repeating a number –”
“No there isn’t,” he interjected.
“Yes there is,” she replied.
“No,” Sununu insisted. “There’s Democratic analysis.”
Watch the two fight via CNN:
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 567 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 351 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 259 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 241 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 143 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Principal recounts tornado hitting Oklahoma school
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee