Pro-Obama PAC ‘Accidentally’ Airs ‘Romney Killed My Wife’ Ad in Major Battleground State
A pro-Obama PAC ad accusing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney of being partly responsible for the death of the wife of Joe Soptic, a former GST Steel worker and Obama campaign operative, “accidentally” aired in Ohio, a major battleground state, on Tuesday morning.
“Station error is all,” Priorities USA founder and former White House spokesman Bill Burton explained. “Kind of like when the Florida station accidentally aired Restore Our Future’s anti-Gingrich ad in June.”
CNN’s electoral map [Ohio, by the way, counts for 18 electoral votes]
“The super PAC, Priorities USA, first released the ad online, and eight days later they are now putting it on air. It played for the first time in Cleveland [Tuesday] morning, according to an ad tracking source,” BuffFeed’s Zeke Miller reports.
The ad, which has caused quite a stir, has been met with harsh criticism on both sides of the aisle. Ever since it debuted, Romney officials (as well as multiple media personalities) have called on the White House to disavow the ad. The White House, however, continues to stress that it can’t do anything about ads produced by third party sources.
“With the outcry and debate, there has been much speculation about whether the ad would air at all. Priorities USA officials have been coy about the delay in the ad’s hitting the airwaves, insisting only that it has been ‘shipped to television stations’ and would air on demand,” ABC News reports.
In fact, one way White House officials have tried to deflect attention back to the Romney campaign has been to point out that the “Romney Kills” ad is only available online whereas Romney’s “racist” welfare ads are on TV.
But now that “Romney Killed my Wife” has aired in Ohio, even if it was a “station error,” does that argument still work?
Burton, as some of you may remember, defends his PAC’s ad by claiming people simply don’t “get” its message.
“Anyone who watches that 60-second ad comes away and says, ‘Mitt Romney’s responsible, at least indirectly, for this lovely woman’s death,’” CNN’s Wolf Blitzer said to Burton
“I just don’t think that’s true. And we would never make that case. The point of the ad –” Burton started.
“Well then, the ad fails, because that’s the message you take away from it, Bill. Whatever message was intended in this commercial is not–nobody hears,” Blitzer interjected.
Is Blitzer wrong? Take a look for yourself:
Of course, as it has been pointed out, no one is really sure what the ad is trying to say. There doesn’t seem to be any sort of policy argument. Is it trying to say that bad things might happen to people when they get fired? Is it a wholesale condemnation of firings?
And despite Romney spokeswoman and former McCain staffer Andrea Saul bringing “Romneycare” into the debate, the ad doesn’t seem to be about opposing views of healthcare.
What, exactly, is the ad about?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 182 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 312 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 125 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse