Stunning Photo Series: Peek Inside an Abandoned Six Flags Theme Park Ravaged by Hurricane Katrina
Readers of TheBlaze are often enraptured by once-lively but now-abandoned environments. And we’re pleased to introduce you to one of the men behind the camera that’s responsible for such incredible images.
Meet Will Crusta.
At the ripe age of 19 he began wandering through empty, dilapidated and graffiti-riddled spaces in the New Orleans area with his DSLR — and today he’s sharing his thoughts on some of these works and why people may be fascinated by empty spaces in general with TheBlaze.
Crusta, now 22 years old, writes on his Flickr profile that his favorite artistic ventures involve urban exploration (or UrbEx). Most of the places he’s crept into were “ravaged by Hurricane Katrina and have been abandoned ever since.”
Although it’s hard for him to pick a favorite space into which he’s traversed, one of his more unique adventures was at a Six Flags, which was recently featured on the viral content platform Buzzfeed. So we’ll start there.
Crusta writes in an email to TheBlaze the theme park was a place he had wanted to visit for a long time. He ended up visiting four times — the most he ever returned to a site to capture the haunting images.
“It’s an abandoned theme park, and really, how many of those are you going to see in your lifetime?” Crusta said. “I believe this one is still caught in fiscal disputes, so that’s the reason it still exists in its current state. You won’t get that lucky with some places.”
Check out some of the nearly 200 photos Crusta took at the park:
The hobbyist photographer, with 11 albums on Flickr hosting his view of abandoned spaces, admits he did not necessarily enter them with permission.
“I wasn’t allowed into any of these places, but if I had been, then what would be the fun in that?” Crusta writes. “A large part of the thrill of going to these places is the act of getting in undetected. Then once you’re in, it’s like your own private playground of cool sights and photo opportunities.”
It is this very “stigma of being ‘off limits’” that Crusta says is probably why people are fascinated by abandoned spaces in the first place.
“Everyday people can go to these places, as I’ve shown in my photos, but most people would decide against going to places like this for one reason or another. I find them exciting and feel like they give me this sense of having a place all to myself.”
Stay tuned for the next part of TheBlaze’s photo series on Crusta’s work featuring an abandoned hospital — his first UrbEx experience — Friday.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 517 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 478 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 120 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election