If One Man Gets His Way, You Could Soon Tour the Inventor Tesla’s Old Lab
Nikola Tesla’s old laboratory — Wardenclyffe — sits on a plot of land in Shoreham, New York, where the scientist once sought to create a global system for wireless communication. With funding for Tesla’s project from J.P. Morgan ending in the early 1900s, the tower he was building to achieve this goal was demolished and the land sold.
Now, the land is up for sale again and one man is leading the charge to help a non-profit purchase it and create the country’s first Tesla museum. This man is Matthew Inman, owner of The Oatmeal blog. The pricetag on the land is $1.6 million, but with the state saying it would provide a matching grant, PC Mag reports Inman only has to raise $850,000. With more than 40 days left to raise the money, he’s already more than half way there.
PC Mag calls Inman’s efforts to spread the word to raise the funds an “amusing plea for help.” Inman has launched his campaign on all the viral social media channels and other Web platforms. To interest his intended audience, he created a cartoon story on his blog describing Tesla — “the greatest geek who ever lived” — and his achievements that merit a museum. Here are a few screenshots of his blog post, but be sure to check out the full thing here.
Inman also notes that while $850,000 would help secure the land, more donations are welcome to get construction of the actual museum off to a good start. Inman puts out a personal call to specific companies and celebrities who may have a stake in this museum on his blog.
According to Jalopnik, Inman’s personal request to Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk has been answered. Musk said in an email although it wasn’t “a good use of Tesla corp funds [...] I’m personally open to the idea,” citing the fact that Tesla is a hero of his.
If you’re not convinced that Tesla deserves a whole museum, Inman also pulls together in another blog post (Note: some strong language) many of Tesla’s inventions and other reasons why he was “the greatest geek who ever lived.” These include, but are not limited to, alternating current providing electrical power as we know it, experiments with cryogenic engineering and neon lighting.
See the full blog post by Inman and/or find donation options here.
As of the time of this posting, Inman had helped raise more than $494,000 and has 44 days left to reach the goal.
(H/T: Huffington Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 555 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 505 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 480 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 331 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 218 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 229 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Grizzlies, Memphis ready to 'believe' vs Spurs
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't