‘It’s Not Islamophobia, It’s Islamorealism’: Anti-Islamic Ads Go Up in N.Y. Suburb
An anti-Islamic advertisement is causing a stir in suburban New York with its message of “Islamorealism.”
It reads: “19,250 deadly Islamic attacks since 9/11/01 (and counting). It’s not Islamophobia, it’s Islamorealism.”
Signs with the message have gone up at several Metro-North Railroad stations in Westchester County, N.Y., according to the Journal News. They’re paid for by the American Freedom Defense Initiative, led by activist Pamela Geller — the same group behind similar anti-jihad ads that recently appeared in San Francisco.
“The message I am trying to send is that it is not ‘Islamophobic’ to oppose jihad terror,” Geller, who runs the blog Atlas Shrugs, said in an email to the newspaper. “I’m also trying to highlight the reality and magnitude of Islamic jihad and the mainstream media’s cover-up of it.”
But not everyone agrees: Greenburgh Town Supervisor Paul Feiner told the New York Daily News he says the advertisements “encourage hatred.” He wants to see the profits from the ad campaign donated to help fight discrimination.
“There are many Muslims residing in Greenburgh and in our villages,” Feiner said. “They should not be discriminated against. The posters encourage hatred, discrimination and do not help the efforts to fight hate crimes.”
John Harris, chairman of the regional Anti-Defamation League in New York, told the Journal News the ads contribute to “stereotyping an entire religion.”
“Suspecting every Muslim is secretly a jihadist creates an atmosphere that makes discrimination easier and more acceptable,” Harris said. “There are extremists in every religion whose views reflect hatred and bigotry towards people they don’t understand, and to condemn the entire faith based on the views of a small minority is unwarranted.”
A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority told the newspaper it doesn’t endorse the views expressed in the ad, but doesn’t ban advertisements based on their message.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 382 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 113 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- JC Chandor gains a Cannes hit with 'All Is Lost'
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Jury in Arias case gives up after no consensus
- Syrian state media: Rebels attack prison in north
- I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
- No guarantee of peace, NKorean envoy warns China
- German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
- Syrian govt to take part in peace conference