More Incredible Post-Katrina Pics: Photographer Brings You Inside Abandoned Hospital and Movie Theater
The ruins from a natural disaster or the evidence of a failed economy can take years or decades to erase from the facade of a city. Although some may see abandoned spaces as an eye sore, others see the value in them as a reminder of the past.
Will Crusta, who has lived in New Orleans his entire life and experienced Hurricane Katrina before, during and after, is one of the latter. TheBlaze has been featuring a series by this hobbyist photographer and his work documenting these incredible abandoned spaces.
As we continue to introduce you to this photographer and this medium, we want to explore the question: What was Crusta’s first urban exploration (UrbEx as he would call it) adventure? The answer: an abandoned maintenance shed in City Park in New Orleans. It was an accident he was even there, he said in an email to TheBlaze, something he just stumbled upon.
“I’d seen UrbEx photos people had taken before and loved them and wanted to make it a hobby of my own, but I never knew of any good spots in my area in which to get started with it,” he said. “Then after exploring that shed, I came to the realization that, wow, Hurricane Katrina left me with tons of opportunities and I can get started basically anywhere. I have a semi-pro camera now, too, so why not go seek out these unique, potentially overwhelmingly eerie sights that must exist in a post-Katrina New Orleans and document them?”
His first “big” UrbEx experience was through an abandoned hospital. Another was delving into a long-closed movie theater. These were both places he said, despite living in New Orleans his whole life, he had never been to while they were operational.
“It was pretty odd going to them for the first time with them being in complete disrepair,” Crusta said, going on to note he is glad they remain in the condition they are now. “I totally understand that the city wants to revive its image after Katrina and needs to get rid of all this ‘blight’ eventually, but I’m glad a lot of it has been left alone as long as it has. You pass places like these every now and then and you remember what your city has been through and how much stronger you are for having endured it.”
Here are a few of Crusta’s photos from his rounds through the hospital and theater:
Crusta noted the “loads of unused medical equipment” in the hospital, but the most interesting thing he saw there was the calendar with the date Hurricane Katrina swept through still on it.
“That was pretty chilling, but an awesome find,” he said.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 465 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 447 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 413 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute