See the Gripping Winners of Nat Geo’s ‘Traveler’ Photo Contest
Last month, TheBlaze brought you some of the stunning images in the running for National Geographic’s Traveler Photo Contest.
Out of more than 12,000 entries from more than 6,600 photographers, Nat Geo has released the winners. It states that photographs “show everything from peaceful landscapes to unexpected moments.”
Here are the top winners:
First place: Shot in the Wakhan Corridor of Afghanistan, photographer Cedric Houin says “the intimacy of this everyday life moment, shot inside of a family yurt, is in total contrast with the harsh environment these nomadic tribes live in. ” This photograph was in Nat Geo’s “sense of place” category.
Second place: “My Balloon” was taken by Vo Anh Kiet in the Outdoor Scenes category. The photographer writes that these are H’mong children playing in Vietnam. Nat Geo photographer and contest judge said the picture “is like a dream, and it’s timeless not only because it’s black and white and there’s no sense of modernity, but also because it depicts an activity that children everywhere on the planet do with balloons.”
Third place: This photo comes from Trapani, Sicily, Italy, depicting an Easter celebration called “Misteri.” Photographer Andrea Guarneri wrote that the men in front of the scene had carried scenes from the Passion of Christ on their shoulders. Here they’re taking a break.
These are a few of the “merit winners”:
The grand prize is a National Geographic Galapagos Photography Expedition. Other prizes ranged from workshops and seminars to gift certificates.
Check out all the editor’s favorites in the various categories here.
(H/T: Daily Mail)
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,015 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 452 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 419 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 306 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 221 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 193 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 116 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge
- Pentagon wants $450M for Guantanamo prison
- The new consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony
- Microsoft touts Xbox One as all-in-1 entertainment
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Leahy steps back on gay marriage issue
- Toronto mayor avoids questions about crack video
- Indians' Perez deletes Twitter account