Romney Didn’t Kill Her: Obama Disowns Cancer Ad in Surprise Visit With Press
President Obama on Monday surprised the White House press corps by joining Press Secretary Jay Carney for the daily briefing.
First of all, I’m not sure all those characterizations that you’ve laid out there were accurate. For example, nobody accused Mr. Romney of being a felon. And, I think that what is absolutely true is that, if you watch me on the campaign trail, here’s what I’m talking about: I’m talking about how we put Americans back to work. And there are sharp differences between myself and Mr. Romney in terms of how we would do that.
If you look at the overall trajectory of our campaign, and the ads that I have approved, and are produced by my campaign, you’ll see that we point out sharp differences between the candidates, but we don’t go out of bounds.
And when it comes to releasing taxes, that’s a precedent that was set decades ago, including by Gov. Romney’s father. And for us to say that it makes sense to release your tax returns, as I did, as John McCain did, as Bill Clinton did, as the two President Bush’s did, I don’t think it is in any way out of bounds, I think it what the American people would rightly expect … particularly when we’re going to be having a huge debate about how we reform our tax code and how we pay for the government that we need. I think people want to know that everybody’s been playing by the same rules including people who are seeking the highest office in the land.
We’ve got to put ourselves before the American people to make our case.
And in regards to the Priorities USA ad accusing Romney of being somehow responsible for the death of the wife of Joe Soptic, a former GST Steel employee and Obama campaign operative, the president responded:
I don’t think that Gov. Romney is somehow responsible for the death of the woman that was portrayed in that ad. But keep in mind: This is an ad that I didn’t approve, I did not produce, and, as far as I can tell, [it] has barely run. I think it ran once.
Of course, it should be noted that the president’s soft approach to the “Romney Kills” ad is somewhat of a departure from his previous stance on third-party advertisements. Recall in 2007 when then-Sen. Obama attacked John Edwards over a 527 [via POLITICO]:
“The fact is this is somebody who worked for John Edwards, for the last who knows how many years, who’s a good friend and colleague of Edwards, who’s now running a 527 that is running ads on behalf of John Edwards. [Laugh]
You’re telling me he has no influence over him? That’s not true. If [Obama communications director] Robert Gibbs started running a 527 and I called Robert Gibbs and said, ‘Stop running ads on my behalf,’ are you suggesting I would have no influence over Robert Gibbs?”
After concluding his first formal session with reporters in the East Room since October 6, 2011, the president headed towards the exit and ABC’s Jake Tapper shouted, “Don’t be a stranger!”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
All photos courtesy the AP. This story has been updated.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 497 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 182 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 313 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 126 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse