See the Email Explaining How the Albuquerque Radio Station Landed the ‘Red or Green’ Interview With Obama
TheBlaze has obtained an exclusive copy of an email sent to radio stations in key battleground states detailing how a radio station in New Mexico was able to score a now-infamous fluff interview with President Obama last week.
That email, which was sent on Friday afternoon, came from a promotions consultant within the radio community that works with Albuquerque’s KOB-FM — the station that hosted the interview Friday morning — and was billed as a type of how-to guide for others to follow. TheBlaze has chosen to redact the specific names and stations involved in order to protect the source.
Among the interesting tidbits: According to the message, the station did not request the interview, but was rather contacted by the president’s state campaign team.
“The request comes, at least in New Mexico, from the state campaign office,” the email says. “In KOB-FM’s case it was between them and ‘another station’. The campaign did some kind of street-level poll and KOB came back as the one they felt was most appropriate.”
Additionally, the message says that states were chosen based on their status as “’battleground’ states and/or states that are leaning Dem.” If the Obama campaign considers New Mexico either a “battleground” or a state only “leaning Dem,” that could spell trouble: New Mexico went for Barack Obama in 2008 by nearly 15 percentage points. The fact that it could be in play in 2012 is intriguing.
Of note is that the email is clear that the campaign did not give the radio station questions, but did suggest topics as well as say that politics was off limits.
“They won’t give you specific questions to ask and all they want in return were some examples of the kinds of questions,” it says. “They specifically did NOT want anything political and the goal I think is to present him as just a normal dude. They used ‘basketball and music’ as a couple of thought-starters.”
“This is very, very unusual,” the person — a radio veteran with decades of experience — who sent us the email said. “In fact, it’s almost unheard of. I’ve been doing this nearly 30 years and I’ve never seen a campaign reach out to a radio station like this, especially the campaign of a sitting president. It could be unprecedented.”
TheBlaze reached out to two Obama for America offices in Albuquerque for comment but did not hear back in time for publication.
You can read the entire email below:
Date: August 19, 2012 3:04:49 PM EDT
The President has been doing morning show interviews in “battleground” states and/or states that are leaning Dem. And you are both on that map. The request comes, at least in New Mexico, from the state campaign office. In KOB-FM’s case it was between them and “another station”. The campaign did some kind of street-level poll and KOB came back as the one they felt was most appropriate.
They won’t give you specific questions to ask and all they want in return were some examples of the kinds of questions. They specifically did NOT want anything political and the goal I think is to present him as just a normal dude. They used “basketball and music” as a couple of thought-starters.
So, first, reach out to the state office and use the fact that [redacted] and KOB-FM in Albuquerque have done some great interviews and you’d love to have him on.
Then, work up some questions. The NM station’s were perfect because they were hyper local and showed that he knew New Mexico. Which was the whole point of him doing the interview:
1. Red or Green chili? (you can’t get more local than that)
2. Favorite New Mexico food? (he loves him some mole’)
3. They make a TON of movies in Albuquerque. There are usually three being shot at any given time, and since “The Avengers” was the most recent smash filmed there, as the leader of the free world, are there any super powers he wished he had? (that he could speak every language in the world)
4. Favorite music to work out to? (Beyonce)
5. Everyone is sending their kids back to school; what was the best advice he ever got as a kid? (Not to be limited to just one thing, like athletics or theater or scholastics)
If they’d done anything traditional or political, they wouldn’t have gotten the interview, no one would have cared and it wouldn’t literally be linked on 10,000 websites and STILL trending on CNN. Hit them up. Who knows? You might sneak through the radar and snag the Prez.
And in case you haven’t heard it, the interview mentioned is below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 439 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 418 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 379 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 151 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 122 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 238 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 247 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- WW II photo-documentarian Wayne Miller dies at 94
- Broke no laws, IRS official says _ then takes 5th
- Zach Johnson always feels good at Colonial
- House passes GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Mexico cartel dominates, torches western state
- Union power at issue as Garcetti elected LA mayor