Megyn Kelly Panel Clashes Over Whether Abortion Exceptions Are Part of Official GOP Platform
During Fox New’s “America Live” on Tuesday, Megyn Kelly hosted a lively panel to debate whether GOP pressure would force Missouri Senatorial candidate Todd Akin to withdraw from the race.
While Akin has vowed to stay in the Senatorial race, Republican strategist Ed Rollins argued that he stands no chance to win and his support within the GOP will continue to fall in the wake of his controversial “legitimate rape” remarks. He added that Akin could also hurt Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s chances of winning Missouri in the 2012 election.
But the topic eventually raised the question: Are abortion exceptions, or a lack thereof, officially part of the Republican party platform?
Fox News contributor Julie Roginsky said that the Republican party has now “adopted a platform that says there is no exception for abortion, even in cases of rape and incest — that is very far out of the mainstream.” She also said it is fair to link Akin’s comments to the Romney/Ryan ticket because Paul Ryan previously co-sponsored legislation with Akin that created different categories of rape by using the phrase “forcible rape.”
Thus started the debate over whether the Republican party’s official platform included an exception on its abortion stance when it came to instances of rape, incest, or pregnancies that threatened the life of the mother.
“At the end of the day, our party has always had exception for rape, incest and life of the mother. And I, for one, am appalled that they’re trying to change that at this point in time,” Rollins said.
“Let me just jump in on that,” Kelly chimed in, “because I want to clarify. So, you’re right, it hasn’t been the official platform of the Republican party; it’s been suggested by a committee and then has to be approved. Same thing with gay marriage on the Democratic side.”
Kelly went on: “But, what I was told was that this has been part of the Republican platform for like twenty years. That they are against abortion, and that John McCain, last time around, wanted to be more clear about the fact that the platform said ‘except in cases of rape or incest.’”
Rollins then clarified that “it started with Reagan” who he says upheld the previously mentioned exceptions and did not attempt to differentiate between different “sorts” of rape.
Trying to act as a voice of reason, Kelly later explained that just as Obama supports same-sex marriage personally but not officially, Romney may have a personal belief when it comes to abortion that may not be his official campaign position. Either way, Romney’s opponents will almost certainly try to tie him to Akin’s comments, even though he has come out and strongly condemned his remarks.
Watch the entire Fox News segment via Mediaite here:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 533 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 490 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 473 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 155 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 127 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Cannes: Dern a leading man again in 'Nebraska'
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Budget cuts mean unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Hezbollah: EU making big mistake
- Toronto mayor Rob Ford says he does not smoke crack cocaine