‘Go F**k Yourself’: GOP Senate Candidate Says He’s Not Sorry for Telling Reporter Off
A U.S. Senate candidate in Washington state said Tuesday he’s not apologizing for telling a local reporter to “go f–k yourself” — and said the reporter “had it coming.”
Republican hopeful Michael Baumgartner acknowledged to the Associated Press he sent the emailed directive to reporter Josh Feit of the Seattle political blog PubliCola following an interview about Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin. A written statement from Baumgartner’s campaign indicated he sent it out of frustration that more media attention was being given to Akin’s controversial rape comments instead of Baumgartner’s platform of ending the war in Afghanistan.
The statement did include an apology for Baumgartner’s “strong language” — but the candidate seemed to retract it during an interview with local news station KIRO-TV.
“Let me just say, Josh had it coming in this email, and I don’t apologize,” Baumgartner, a state senator, told KIRO. “Look, it’s a naughty word. It doesn’t amount to a whole lot.”
Feit said he received the email from Baumgartner Monday night containing a photo of Baumgartner with someone who recently died in Afghanistan.
“Josh, this is Pat Feeks, a Navy SEAL killed last week in Afghanistan. Take a good look and then go (expletive) yourself,” the email stated.
Feit said he tried unsuccessfully to reach the Baumgartner campaign after receiving the email. He said during their interview about Akin’s comments — prompted because Baumgartner has similarly strict anti-abortion views — the candidate expressed frustration that more attention wasn’t being given to the war in Afghanistan. Baumgartner previously did diplomatic work in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the AP.
“The issue here is not whether a bad word was said or not,” Baumgartner told KIRO. “Maybe it angers people, maybe it doesn’t. Trust me, the guy had it coming. The issue here is the ongoing war in Afghanistan and the complete lack of leadership of bringing that war to a close.”
Baumgartner is running to unseat Democratic Sen. Maria Cantwell.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 470 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Togo police fire tear gas at protesters
- McQuaid: Panel to study UCI-Armstrong 'collusion'
- Jewelry stolen a 2nd time during Cannes festival
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Jerry Lewis repeats his distaste for female comics