Obama-Backing NBA Star Denies Ties to Drug Dealers After Appearing in Pro-Drug ‘Stop Snitching’ DVD
Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks is something of a star since winning a bronze medal in the Olympics. He also apparently hangs out with a dubious crowd.
An underground DVD for sale in Baltimore, MD, titled “Stop Snitching,” features Anthony as one of its participants. Anthony is originally from Baltimore, MD.
The DVD in question is essentially an infomercial for inner city youth about blowing the whistle on drug dealers. The catch is that instead of telling them to blow the whistle, the explicit message of the DVD is not to do so. Actual drug dealers are featured on the DVD talking about the consequences of cooperating with police (“snitching”), with one even going so far as to say snitches should be taken care of by “putting a hole in their head.”
Anthony is present for all of this, and there is even a moment in the video where one of the other participants jokes with him about his bronze medal, calling it a “giant penny.” Anthony claims he threw it in a river.
See the exchange below (Warning! Adult language):
ABC 7 Denver has more:
The DVD showed up for sale for $10 within the last week on Baltimore’s streets. The production includes music, dancing and spoken messages, with clips showing men stuffing wads of cash into their pockets, driving in convertibles, smoking marijuana and flashing diamond-encrusted watches.
In one segment, Anthony stands on a street, wearing a red shirt and baseball hat and laughing while another man talks about life on the street, snitches and the NBA. Anthony, 20, doesn’t respond to any of the comments about violence, except to laugh. The credits of the DVD include a special thanks to “Melo,” Anthony’s nickname.
The DVD is produced by an alleged drug dealer named Skinny Shuge.
Carmelo’s agent, Calvin Andrews, told 7SPORTS that Carmelo did not know he would be in the video.[...]
The DVD’s cover bears the title, “Stop Snitching,” and a photocopied image and name for the apparent artist, “Skinny Suge.” The cover also has photocopied images of what appear to be dead shooting victims.
Anthony has defended his participation, saying that the “stop snitching” message is pervasive, even in mainstream music videos, while strictly denying that he associates with drug dealers. However, community activists have complained about his participation, claiming that his appearance will make drug dealing look like the only route to success.
Along with his basketball career, Anthony has been a vocal supporter of President Barack Obama.
This story has been updated for clarity.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 182 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 310 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 125 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse