Report: Feds Paid $500K to Air Pro-Obama Ads on Maddow, Olberman Shows
The Labor Department paid a public relations firm approximately $500,000 stimulus dollars to run ads praising the Obama administration’s “green training” job efforts on NBC News’ (then-MSNBC) “The Rachael Maddow Show” and the now-defunct “Countdown with Keith Olbermann,” according to the Washington Times.
Despite the investment, however, it doesn’t appear the pricey ad campaign created a single job, the report adds.
The Labor Department paid McNeely Pigott & Fox Public Relations LLC $495,000 to help raise awareness “among employers and influencers about the [Job Corps] program’s existing and new training initiatives in high growth and environmentally friendly career areas”
“The firm ultimately negotiated ad buys for ‘two approved spots’ airing 14 times per week for two months,” The Washington Times reports, adding that under the section listing the number of jobs created is a big ‘ol zero.
Obviously, the fact that the taxpayer-funded investment didn’t create a single job and the fact that the ads ran on two clearly Obama-friendly shows has more than a few people saying the whole thing is “questionable.”
“Hiring a PR firm does not create jobs, and this was obviously meant for selling a particular political agenda,” said David Williams, president of the nonprofit watchdog Taxpayers Protection Alliance. “The placement really reeks of a political ad rather than a job ad, and taxpayers see through this.”
“Taxpayers would be a lot happier at the end of the day to see a completed road rather than a bunch of ads on cable television,” he added.
Of course, Labor Department officials defend the payout and claim politics played no role the investment.
“[O]fficials said the money was used for outreach efforts to raise awareness among potential employers about the Job Corps’ green training in career areas, including automotive, advanced manufacturing and solar-panel installation,” the Times reports.
Labor Department officials claim their research “showed that advertisements would reach the target demographic of business owners and managers interested in hiring ‘green-trained’ employees through a programming list that initially also included shows hosted by CNN’s Larry King and public television’s Jim Lehrer as well as the two MSNBC programs where the ads eventually appeared.”
Public television was ruled out because it was too costly and officials reasoned they could reach a larger audience with Olberman and Maddow than with King. There is no explanation for why other cable outlets (i.e. Fox, ESPN, etc.) were not considered.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 288 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kuchar leads Colonial without finishing 2nd round
- Penguins oust Sens in five, reach Eastern finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 away from Heat in Miami, 97-93
- Obama's drone rules leave unanswered questions
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair