Tampa Cops Discover Bricks, Pipes on Top of Building Near GOP Convention and Police Chief Calls It ‘Not Surprising’
Tampa police said Tuesday that they confiscated pipes, bricks, and other “suspicious” items from the rooftop of a downtown building located just a mile from where next week’s Republican National Convention will be held.
Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor said she believes the items were put there by protesters for use during RNC demonstrations. She added that some RNC-related graffiti was also found at the building, but wouldn’t elaborate.
However, Fox13 reported the graffiti featured the now-familiar “Anonymous” logo.
“It is disconcerting but it’s not surprising,” she said. “This is normally how things proceed leading up to a large event.”
Here is video of the graffiti, and parts of Anonymous’ videos:
“Do not be afraid of black bloc,” one of the videos says, encouraging the protesters to come to Tampa and “take a stand” against “corporate America,” etc.
Police have been preparing for the August 27-30 political event for nearly two years. Castor said she’s studied other protests surrounding political events, most notably the RNC in St. Paul in 2008, where authorities were taken by surprise by an active minority of demonstrators who smashed cars, punctured tires and threw bottles in a confrontation with pepper-spray-wielding police. Hundreds were arrested over a few days, including dozens of journalists.
And Castor said she is determined not to preside over a repeat of St. Paul.
Within the past two weeks, downtown Tampa has changed from a slightly sleepy urban core to a patchwork of barricades, gates and even boarded-up windows. Many federal, state and local buildings are surrounded by barricades because Castor said that some protesters — especially anarchists — are known to target government property.
Here is one of the recent Anonymous videos posted to YouTube, where the protesters address RNC attendees and Mayor Buckhorn:
Congress has given Tampa — and Charlotte, N.C., the location of the Democratic National Convention — $50 million each in taxpayer money to try to ensure everyone’s safety during the political gatherings that crown each party’s presidential candidate every four years.
Tampa police have spent about $13.6 million so far on big-ticket security items, including 200 bicycles, 13 electric all-terrain vehicles and one armored truck.
The city said it has tried to accommodate protesters by creating protest zones and parade routes for those wishing to express their opinions, and officials have met with protesters and held meetings with the American Civil Liberties Union over the past several months.
“The vast majority of individuals coming to the Tampa Bay area to demonstrate will do it peacefully,” Castor assured.
However, only a handful of groups have signed up for time slots on the official parade route during the four-day convention, leaving some to wonder whether protesters are organizing other– less reputable– demonstrations in other areas.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 383 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 114 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- JC Chandor gains a Cannes hit with 'All Is Lost'
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Jury in Arias case gives up after no consensus
- Syrian state media: Rebels attack prison in north
- I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
- No guarantee of peace, NKorean envoy warns China
- German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
- Syrian govt to take part in peace conference