Update: Hear From the 80-Year-Old Grandma Who Ruined a Rare Jesus Painting by ‘Restoring’ It
On Tuesday, TheBlaze was one of the first news outlets to bring you the story of the 80-year-old Spanish grandmother who, even if good-intentioned, ruined a fresco painting of Jesus after attempting to “restore” it. The painting belongs to the Centro de Estudios Borjanos church in Borja, Spain.
Here’s the photo that shows the painting’s gradual destruction:
The leftmost image is what the painting looked like two years ago; the middle image is how it looked in July when it was photographed for a religious art catalog; and the rightmost image is how it looks now after the attempted restoration. In a painful stroke of irony, the church had reportedly just received a donation to have the fresco repaired professionally.
Now, Cecilia Jimenez, the elderly woman behind the botched touch-up, is speaking out and claiming she was asked to fix the painting, according to Al Jazeera. She is actually, believe it or not, a painter — or at least refers to herself as such.
“We saw that everything was falling down and we fixed it,” she told Spain state television TVE.
After being asked if she was instructed to fix the painting, she said: “Of course, the priest knew it. The priest knew it, he did. How could we do something like that without his permission?”
“You did it secretly, didn’t you?” a reporter asked.
“No, of course not. Everyone who came into the church could see me as I was painting.”
While the painting wasn’t necessarily valuable before it was ruined, it certainly was rare and considered to be one of two known original works of art by 19th century painter Elias Garcia Martinez.
All that being said, the old woman says she is upset with what she did and the way the painting turned out. The church isn’t too happy with it either and is reportedly looking into whether they can restore Martinez’s “restoration.
Watch the interview via Al Jazeera below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 580 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 518 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 495 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 385 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 313 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US