College Chancellor Takes Stand for Gun Rights After Prof. Threatens to Cancel Class Over Gun-Carrying Students
While the debate over whether the University of Colorado has the right to segregate gun permit-carrying students to separate dorms, the university’s chancellor has just stood up for the rights of those same students to carry guns on campus.
Earlier this week, one professor at the University’s main campus in Boulder threatened to cancel his class if any students showed up legally carrying guns. Physics professor Jerry Peterson declared his stance during a faculty assembly on Monday.
“My own personal policy in my classes is if I am aware that there is a firearm in the class — registered or unregistered, concealed or unconcealed — the class session is immediately canceled,” Peterson said. “I want my students to feel unconstrained in their discussions.”
But on on Wednesday, Chancellor Phil DiStefano squashed the idea in a pointed email to faculty.
“I have the utmost respect for Professor Peterson, who is an old friend and valued colleague, but I want to make clear that if the student carrying the weapon has a concealed-carry permit, the position implied by Professor Peterson’s comments directly violates Colorado law and the operating principles of the campus,” he said according to the Daily Camera.
“On this issue, there can be no ambiguity: all CU-Boulder faculty, as CU and state employees, are expected to teach their assigned courses and to hold classes for all enrolled students,” DiStefano added.
The Daily Camera reports that he also threatened disciplinary action for any professor caught cancelling class because of legal gun owners exercising their right.
The controversy over guns on Colorado campuses came to a head this summer when the state supreme court ruled that schools cannot ban legal, permit-carrying gun owners from carrying their weapons on campus.
“I believe we have taken responsible steps to adhere to the ruling of the Colorado Supreme Court while balancing that with the priority of providing a safe environment for our students, faculty and staff,” DiStefano said last week.
Still, the university’s policy to segregate students in campus housing based on their concealed weapon status has gun rights advocates worried that university is creating a dangerous environment for both those carrying guns and those not.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 759 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 342 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 239 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 201 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor Read More
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 158 Comments
- John Kerry Reportedly Had a Breakfast Meeting With Father of Gaza Flotilla ‘Martyr’ Last Week — and There’s Apparently Picture Evidence 137 Comments
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 171 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- Yahoo Just Bought This Social Networking Site for $1.1B Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Hospitals treat more than 140 after Okla. tornado
- Kansas lands transfer Tarik Black from Memphis
- QB Mitchell decides on North Carolina State
- Publicist: Founding member of The Doors dies at 74
- AP source: Treasury told WH of IRS disclosure plan
- Mattingly doesn't feel he's about to be fired
- Indians rally to beat Mariners 10-8
- Beam her up: Gabby Douglas is back in the gym