‘Real News From The Blaze:’ Medi(s)care Facts
At the onset of the news that Rep. Paul Ryan would be named Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s running mate, the Obama campaign and allies quickly exerted considerable resources into vilifying the Ryan budget plans for Medicare. Some have called the Democrats’ campaign against Ryan a “Mediscare” plan, as every Democrat at arms length to a media outlet has regurgitated that the Wisconsin Republican’s budget plan, which is not the same as what a Romney/Ryan administration will endorse, “ends medicare as we know it.”
In fact, Ryan’s plan keeps Medicare as it us up until 2022, then reforms the program for new beneficiaries while launching a so-called “premium-support” system, where seniors would pick form a choice of private plans on a new Medicare exchange with the help of government-provided subsidies. Ryan claims his reforms will make the program sustainable, which as it is now will become insolvent by 2024 according to nonpartisan reports.
But are voters taking the bait offered by those opposed to Ryan’s plan?
A Washington Post-ABC News poll released Wednesday shows 41 percent of Americans view Ryan favorably, while 37 percent rate him unfavorably — slightly improved from last week’s polling. Among seniors–the group expected to be most swayed against Ryan’s Medicare ideas–the numbers are even better for the Wisconsin Republican: 50 percent favorable and 35 percent unfavorable.
Grace Marie Turner, President of the Galen Institute, joined “Real News From The Blaze” Thursday to discuss what the Ryan plan truly includes and how it compares to what Obamacare has in store for the nation’s seniors, which Republicans claim is not an easy pill to swallow.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 577 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 511 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 305 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 264 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos