It Could Get Tougher for Parents to Opt Children Out of Vaccines in Calif.
To vaccinate or not to vaccinate? This has been a long debated question, and as children head back to school and parents are required to present proof of vaccination or an exemption slip to enroll them, it is a hot topic this time of year.
Some worry about the long-term effects of vaccines on children and cite parents’ rights and beliefs as a reason to opt out, while many health officials push for vaccines to prevent outbreaks of harmful childhood diseases. With the debate, state governments have looked into the exemption process with some adding some extra steps for parents hoping to avoid vaccinating their children.
California is the latest to join these ranks. This week, the California Senate passed AB 2109, a bill that would require parents to meet with a physician to discuss the risks before being granted a vaccination exemption for their child. KQED reports the bill’s sponsor, who is also a pediatrician, Richard Pan saying the bill doesn’t mandate vaccination or take away parents rights but more simply makes sure parents are making an “informed decision”:
“Parents become uncertain. They’re not sure what they should do,” he told [KQED] in an interview. “They’re being told their children should be immunized but at the same time, they’re seeing scary stuff out on the internet.”
Opponents of the bill, KQED reports, believe this extra step will add to healthcare costs and still infringes on parental rights.
Democratic Sen. Lois Wolk of Davis said it’s a matter of public health and the waivers could be obtained during routine visits.
Washington State, which instituted a similar requirement in the exemption process last year, is reporting this week that fewer parents are opting their children out of vaccines now. KPLU reports that just two years ago the state had the highest number of parents deciding not to vaccinate. Now, Washington falls in eighth in the country for exemptions.
Overall, a recent report by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention released this week, found the number of vaccinated kindergarteners in the 2011-2012 school year met the federal government’s target. At the same time though, US News and World Report states the number of exemptions, according to the CDC, has risen slightly, with Arkansas seeing the largest increase of parents opting out.
As for AB 2109 moving forward. The bill will head back to the full Assembly for a final vote and from there would need to be signed or vetoed by the governor within 30 days.
- Mother ‘Angry With Everybody’ After 14-Year-Old Given HPV Vaccine Without Permission
- Is Mandatory Participation in Vaccine Trials ‘Not as Outlandish as It Might Seem’?
- Whooping Cough Rising at an Epidemic Rate: ‘My Biggest Concern Is For the Babies’
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 317 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 256 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 231 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 180 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 102 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 122 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 140 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- Zimbabwe's president signs new constitution
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- South Sudan warns it may shut down oil flow again
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Czech president settles dispute over gay rights
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters