Would You Live in This Converted Ballistic Missile Silo? It’s on the Market for $750K
The houses TheBlaze is featuring today might not be considered part of the “tiny house movement” per se, but they still fit into the unusual house category.
The contenders are a converted ballistic missile silo and a house with a wing thin a grown man could barely lie sideways in it.
The exterior of the former missile silo looks normal enough and its public description starts off innocent as well. The listing for the home on Yahoo! Homes states interested buyers could “own a piece of history and [peace] of mind.”
In the next sentence though, one learns this wasn’t the house of a famous war veteran or something along those lines, but is a missile silo “converted to a luxury home.” As if that wasn’t enough, as an added bonus, an airplane runway serves as its driveway and a hanger is its garage. The space is listed in Saranac, New York, for $750,000.
The “decommissioned intercontinental ballistic missile launch facility” was featured recently by the local ABC affiliate and here’s more details on what’s included in the deal:
The only structure above ground at the time was a small concrete entrance around which the new owners built an 1800 square foot house.
Co owner and builder Bruce Francisco created a living space below in the launch control center
There are two doors separating the outside world from the rooms below. At several thousand pounds each, they’re built to withstand a nuclear blast.
With three-foot thick concrete walls reinforced with stainless steel mesh and epoxy resin, the subterranean dwelling is built to withstand a direct nuclear blast — or most any kind of apocalyptic event you might want to sit out.
“And who knows if the world gets really weird you may need to go underground for a month or two months to let the dust settle from what ever might have happened,” said Francisco.
Francisco told ABC that a 110 foot missile was housed in the facility at one point.
Although the previous owners have revamped much of the property, the actual missile silo itself remains unfinished, which Francisco said leaves its next owner with endless possibilities.
Watch the report on the property that is a “mountain retreat above, apocalyptic shelter below”:
The thin house is located in Japan, and although it may be 1,700 square feet, one half of the house is only 7 feet wide. Luckily for residents, when they really want to stretch out, the other side of the house is a bit wider.
Dezeen Magazine says the home called House K by Hiroyuki Shinozaki Architects is a duplex meant for two families living together. The “slender side of the house” contains the kitchens, bathrooms, closets and a bedroom.
The wider section of the house has additional bedrooms and living rooms. The designers left these rooms largely open so the family could easily communicate with others in the wider rooms.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 249 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 132 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 223 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief