Scare Tactic? Obama Says Romney Holds ‘Extreme Positions’ of House GOP That He Would Push Through if Elected
President Barack Obama charged Republican rival Mitt Romney with holding the “extreme positions” of the House GOP that he would push through if elected, regardless of whether he believes them or not.
In an interview with the Associated Press published Saturday, Obama cited economic and social issues, and also suggested Romney wasn’t ready to “own up” to the responsibilities of what it takes to be president by refusing to release additional tax returns.
“[Romney] has signed up for positions, extreme positions, that are very consistent with positions that a number of House Republicans have taken,” Obama told the AP. “And whether he actually believes in those or not, I have no doubt that he would carry forward some of the things that he’s talked about.”
Among those positions, he said, are Romney’s call for tax cuts across the board — a plan Obama said would help the rich at the expense of everyone else, something he’s repeated often on the campaign trail.
Obama also hinted at the issue of abortion, something that was pushed to the forefront this week following Republican Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin’s comment that victims of “legitimate rape” rarely get pregnant. According to the AP, Obama predicted Romney would not “stand in the way” of a congressional bill to take away women’s control over their reproductive health care.
The Obama campaign has previously sought to tie Romney to the “war on women” theme, including with an ad that declared that “it’s a scary time to be a woman.” Romney has stated unequivocally he supports a woman’s right to have an abortion in cases of rape, incest or to save the mother’s life.
Obama also noted Romney’s refusal to release additional years of tax returns, calling it a “lack of willingness to take responsibility for what this job entails.”
With the economy the No. 1 issue of the 2012 election, Obama acknowledged, “We aren’t where we need to be.”
“Everybody agrees with that,” he told the AP. “But Governor Romney’s policies would make things worse for middle-class families and offer no prospect for long-term opportunity for those striving to get into the middle class.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 390 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 275 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4