Would ‘Fully’ Endorsing Mitt Romney ‘Undo’ Much of What Ron Paul Has Accomplished? He Seems to Think So
Texas libertarian and former presidential candidate Ron Paul recently explained in an interview with the New York Times why he chose not to speak at the Republican National Convention, saying the mandatory endorsement of Mitt Romney would “undo everything” he has done with the bulk of his career.
Apparently convention organizers offered him a speaking role, but only if he gave a “full-fledged endorsement” of the former Massachusetts governor and agreed to have his remarks pre-approved.
“It wouldn’t be my speech,” Paul explained to the New York Times. “That would undo everything I’ve done in the last 30 years.”
He continued: “I don’t fully endorse him for president.”
USA Today adds:
Paul is speaking today at his own rally at the University of South Florida, in an event that’s separate from the GOP gathering where Romney will accept the Republican nomination…
Paul, a Texas congressman, stopped actively campaigning for the GOP presidential nomination in May. He earned 177 delegates through primaries and caucuses, according to an AP tally.
…Paul has a devoted and passionate following because of his small-government views, and his supporters have helped shape the GOP platform. Many, but not all, of Paul’s supporters will be seated at the convention and take part in its activities. [Emphasis added]
“We used to say most people found libertarianism by reading Ayn Rand,” David Boaz of the Cato Institute remarked. “In the last five years, most people have found libertarianism by listening to Ron Paul.”
Despite Paul’s comments indicating that he won’t “fully endorse” presumed Republican nominee Mitt Romney, the RNC has still agreed to play a short film paying tribute to the man.
Paul’s son, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, was slated to speak at the RNC Monday, but the day’s events have been rescheduled due to severe weather.
Politico suggests Rand Paul will take the libertarian message to a wider audience, while Ron Paul will remain the movement’s “conscience.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 496 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 457 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 448 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 336 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 172 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 108 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Truck in Wash. span collapse hauled drilling equip
- Cyclist tests positive for EPO, risks life ban
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- US: Czech slaying suspect killed relatives
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Defending champ Keselowski tries to build on title