Chris Matthews Snaps at RNC Chairman Over ‘Foreignization’ of Obama in Heated Segment
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus responded to Matthews’ attacks by taking some shots of his own during an impromptu press conference. See the RNC Chairman fire back in this exclusive video from TheBlaze.
On MSNBC’s Morning Joe today, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus sat in as a guest to talk about the Party convention in Tampa. MSNBC host Chris Matthews also joined the discussion. And an intense argument between the two broke out when the conversation turned to President Obama’s economic policies.
“I think Obama’s policies,” Priebus said, “have created a sense that for whatever reason, he looks for guidance — as far as health care is concerned, as far as spending is concerned, as far as the stimulus packages are concerned — he’s looking to Europe for guidance. That’s the problem.”
“Where do you get this from? This is insane.” Matthews jumped in. “You mean the fact that every president we’ve had has tried to offset the economic cycle with stimulus going the other direction is somehow European?
Priebus responded, “Look at the spending, he said he’d get the debt under control. Where are we at?”
“What’s this got to do with Europe and this foreignization of [Obama]?” Matthews said, completely straight-faced. “You’re playing that card again. What’s this European thing of yours?”
Morning Joe co-host Mika Brzezinski jumped in. “Let’s work on tone,” she said.
Priebus indicated he was ready to let it go. “I’m not going to get into a shouting match with Chris,” he said.
Matthews responded, “Because you’re losing, that’s why.” Matthews continued, saying “everybody” in the GOP pushes the birther conspiracy that Obama wasn’t born in the United States and is thus ineligible to be president.
“Garbage,” Priebus said.
“It’s your garbage,” Matthews responded.
Following several seconds of uncomfortable silence, host Joe Scarborough tried to break the tension by bringing up tropical storm Isaac, which thwarted the GOP’s plans to start their convention today: “Boy, you know, you hear the hurricane, it might pass us completely and actually go up to New Orelans.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 534 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 491 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 105 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 162 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 129 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Cannes: Dern a leading man again in 'Nebraska'
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Budget cuts mean unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Hezbollah: EU making big mistake
- Toronto mayor Rob Ford says he does not smoke crack cocaine