Tables Turned: Newt Gingrich Grills Chris Matthews About His ‘Racist Thinking’
After shouting down Republican Party Chairman Reince Priebus Monday morning, an emboldened Chris Matthews thought it would be a good idea to go toe-to-toe with former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich on the topic of the GOP’s supposed use of racial “dog whistles.”
“What’s a ‘food stamp president’?” Matthews asked, referring to a term he has deemed racist.
“A ‘food stamp president’ is the guy whose policies are so destructive, that he creates the longest unemployment since the Great Depression and he puts more people on food stamps — most of them white — than anybody else,” the former speaker responded.
“Why do you assume food stamp refers to blacks?” Gingrich added, turning the tables on the MSNBC host. “What kind of racist thinking do you have? You’re being a racist because you assume they’re black!”
“Let me tell you why. Because from the beginning,” Matthews responded, “paying attention to politics, Ronald Reagan would talk about the ‘Welfare Queen,’ who’s African-America. He’d talk about the ‘young buck’ — ”
“He didn’t say that,” Gingrich said in reference to Matthews’ assertion that Reagan said the “Welfare Queen” was an African-American.
“Yes he did. He talked about the ‘Welfare Queen’ out in Chicago,” Mathews responded.
“Who was African-American?”
“I don’t believe [Ronald Reagan] ever used the term [African-American].”
“He didn’t have to.”
For anyone who’s ever seen Gingrich engage in a heated debate, you can probably guess how this one ends.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
(H/T: BuzzFeed). This story has been updated.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 473 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 373 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 284 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 182 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- House panel moves to curb military sexual assaults
- AP source: Obama on Sunday to visit Oklahoma town devastated by monstrous tornado
- 'Boom Town Baby': African stock markets see gains
- First lady lauds effort to preserve DC slave house
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- House takes up GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Congo fighting persists as UN chief arrives