Here’s the Speech by a Utah Mayor at the RNC That Has Everyone Talking
Mia Love, mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah and GOP candidate for U.S. Congress, outperformed expectations in her speech at the Republican National Convention on Tuesday, blasting President Obama for his “failed” policies and explaining why he isn’t the right candidate to protect the “American dream.”
She is hoping to become the first black GOP congresswoman, Fox News reports. Love is also a first-generation Haitian-American and a Mormon.
“Let me tell you about the America I know,” Love said. “My parents immigrated to this country with $10 in their pockets and the hope that the America they heard about really did exist.”
She explained that she was ingrained with a sense of personal responsibility at an early age by her parents, who taught her that great things can be achieved with hard work in America. That was the American dream, they told her.
“The America I now is grounded in the determination found in patriots and pioneers,” she continued. “It’s found in the Olympic athletes and every child who looks at the impossible and says, ‘I can do that.’ That’s the America I know.”
On President Obama, she said “his policies have failed us. We’re not better off than we were four years ago. And no rhetoric, bumper sticker or Hollywood campaign ad can change that.” At this line, the crowd erupted with applause.
Then she spoke directly to Obama: “Mr. President, I’m here to tell you the American people are awake and we’re not buying what you’re selling in 2012,” Love said to more applause.
“This is the America we know because we built it,” said Love.
Watch the entire speech below via Mediaite/C-SPAN:
After her success at the RNC Tuesday, Mia Love’s Wikipedia page was reportedly edited to call her a “dirty, worthless wh*re” and a “house ni**er.”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 443 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 251 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Lenovo says quarterly profit up 90 percent
- Japan stocks dive after benchmark bond yield spike
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 2 more arrested
- 2011 jail breaks become political issue in Egypt
- Asia shares slide, Nikkei down 7.3 percent, as Japan bond yields rise, China factories weaken
- Japan bond yields jump following Fed comments
- Submerged structure stumps Israeli archaeologists
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan