Is Penn State Axing Neil Diamond’s ‘Sweet Caroline’ Over ‘Touching You’ Lyrics?
There’s been some intriguing speculation surrounding Penn State’s decision to stop playing Neil Diamond’s popular song, “Sweet Caroline” at Nittany Lions football games. The well-known tune is popular among stadium crowds, at weddings and among pop culture enthusiasts. So, when the university decided to axe it, some wondered if the lyrics, in light of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, may have been at the root of the decision.
On Monday, The Altoona Mirror originally reported the following about the musical changes that football fans may notice during the upcoming 2012 season:
The non-band-related music will feature mostly what has been part of the mix inside the stadium the past few years. And while the Boston Red Sox, Pitt football and others have elevated “Sweet Caroline” to a staple for their games, that popular PSU tradition may be interrupted or discontinued.
Some concerns by university officials about its lyrics – “touching you touching me” – and the perception of people singing along to them in light of the recent scandal have been expressed.
In an update to the original story, though, The Mirror presented the university’s response to this alleged scandal. Greg Myford, PSU associate athletic director for business relations and communications, told the outlet that none of the musical changes slated to take place at Beaver Stadium have anything to do with lyrics.
Watch Diamond perform the iconic song, below:
“Sweet Caroline” has apparently been on the chopping block during previous years as well, considering that it is played at other venues and “has no real origination at Penn State.” Due to this usage and the fact that there’s no reason for continuing to play the song (i.e. the school has no attachment to it) — at least from a school spirit or historical standpoint — Myford said that it was switched out. This is a review process that the official claims is undertaken each year.
Music, though, isn’t the only thing changing in the wake of the Sandusky controversy. Team members will no longer arrive at the stadium on game day in uniform; they will come to the school out of uniform and will arrive on campus earlier than they did previously. According to The Daily Caller, “The new measures seem to be an attempt to downplay the once-revered squad and make the entrance less of a glorified moment.”
With all of this in mind, when it comes to “Sweet Caroline,” what do you think: Manufactured controversy or denial on the part of Penn State officials? You decide.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,033 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 104 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed