Shocking Report: MSU Student’s Mouth Stapled Shut During Horrific Anti-Semitic Hate Crime
This story has been updated.
Zachary Tennen, a 19-year-old Michigan State University student, was the victim of what some are categorizing a hate-crime following an attack at an off-campus party (police, though, are now saying that it was ”not likely a hate crime,” but they are giving few details to corroborate that stance). Tennen, a resident of suburban Detroit, is telling media that his attackers, who broke his jaw and reportedly stapled his mouth shut at the lips and gums, asked if he was Jewish before assaulting him.
Zachary Tennen, a 19-year-old sophomore in MSU’s journalism program, was attending a house party early Sunday morning when two men approached him and asked if he was Jewish. After responding in the affirmative, the two men allegedly performed a Nazi salute and recited “Heil Hitler” before beating the young man unconscious.
CBS Detroit reports that 20 people witnessed the attack as the two assailants proceeded to staple Tennen’s mouth shut and broke his jaw.
“They knocked me down really hard … and I assumed someone would help me,” Tennen said in a statement. “But after some guys at the house basically kicked me out, I had to get a cab.”
Tina Tennen, the student’s mother, told the Detroit Free Press her son took a taxi to Sparrow Hospital in East Lansing for initial treatment, but underwent surgery in metro Detroit Monday night to have his jaw wired shut.
“It’s an awful hate crime, and what he’s gone through emotionally and physically, it’s scary to put it into words,” she explained. “Hopefully the worst is behind us. It’s going to be hopefully not too rough.”
While Tennen did admit to consuming “a small amount of alcohol,” he remembers the events that unfolded and has recounted them to media outlets. His father has expressed frustration that hospital officials didn’t report the incident to police, especially after purportedly learning about the assault directly from the young victim.
“It almost seemed like they tried to kill me, and to think about that in my brain, physically — it isn’t very pleasant,” Tennen told campus newspaper The State News.
Now, the student’s family is seeking the help of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), a group that tackles anti-Semitism. In a press release today, the organization responded.
“We are horrified by this violent assault and allegations that the student may have been viciously attacked because he was Jewish,” ADL Detroit Regional Director Betsy Kellman said in a statement. ”We hope the perpetrators will be swiftly brought to justice.”
Tennen is expected to return to MSU after a week of recovery.
TheBlaze’s Tiffany Gabbay contributed to this report.
(H/T: Jewish Forward)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 555 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 505 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 480 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 331 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 218 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 229 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Grizzlies, Memphis ready to 'believe' vs Spurs
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't