’60 Minutes’ to Air Interview With Ex-Navy SEAL Behind Bin Laden Raid Book: ‘This Book Is Not Political’
The former Navy SEAL who was there during the raid that killed Osama bin Laden told Scott Pelley during an interview with “60 Minutes” that despite it being an election year, his new tell-all book is not motivated by politics. Instead, he says “No Easy Day” is a tribute to the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and all the people who helped carry out the attack on the al-Qaeda leader’s compound, CBS News reports.
The author, who goes by the pseudonym “Mark Owen, will appear in his first interview on “60 Minutes,” Sunday Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. ET. His face will be concealed, his voice disguised.
Below are some of the excerpts provided by CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley:
Scott Pelley: How long was it before you got the call to go?
Mark Owen: We had a week off in Virginia Beach. And when I say “off,” it wasn’t completely. But we had a week– a week off at home– conducted one more rehearsal, day of training on the life-size mock up. And then we got the word that we were going.
Owen’s book was to be released on the anniversary of 9/11, but the release has been moved up to next week. There’s been criticism that the book is timed to influence the election.
Mark Owen: My worry from the beginning is, you know, it’s a political season. This book is not political whatsoever. It doesn’t bad mouth either party, and we specifically chose September 11th to keep it out of the politics. You know, if these– crazies on either side of the aisle want to make it political, shame on them. This is a book about September 11th, and it needs to rest on September 11th. Not be brought into the political arena, because this– this has nothing to do with politics.
Fox News was the first news outlet to publish Owen’s real name — many others followed suit. Owens has since received death threats, with some terrorist groups calling for his assassination. TheBlaze will not publish his real name.
Watch part of Owen’s “60 Minutes” interview set to air Sunday here:
Read the entire CBS News report here.
- Navy SEAL’s First-Person Account of Bin Laden Raid Hits Book Stores on Sept. 11, US Gov‘t ’Surprised’
- Author Behind Bin Laden Raid Tell-All Ostracized From SEAL Team 6
- SEAL’s Tell-All Book Raises Questions About Bin Laden’s Death, Says Raid ‘Reported Like a Bad Action Movie’
- Navy SEAL Behind Tell-All Book on Bin Laden Raid Identified — Should the Media Have Published His Name?
- Fellow SEAL‘s Strong Message for ’Benedict Arnold’ Behind OBL Raid Book
- US officials checking SEAL raid book for secrets
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 479 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 422 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 384 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 302 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 108 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 112 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 214 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 186 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Inaugural tournament cut to 54 holes
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Jennifer Lopez to open cellphone stores
- Kerry: US, allies ready to step up aid to rebels
- A divided Fed wrestles with when to slow bond buys
- Obama to honor Carole King at White House concert
- Twitter adds security measure to logins
- Key House chairman slams Senate immigration bill