Violence In Occupy’s ‘Romneyville’ Accounts for Tuesday’s Only Arrest
Tuesday was opening day of the RNC (yes, we realize that the gavel dropped on Monday — but Tuesday was the real first day of the convention) and the only convention-related arrest that police are reporting, happened away from the convention center at the Occupy Wall Street camp known as “Romneyville.” This was also just the third arrest tied to the convention since Sunday.
Tampa police report that a 24-year-old man was arrested and charged with aggravated battery after breaking the jaw of a 60-year-old man who also lives in the camp. The fight allegedly broke out when Dante Sea (the younger man) took a piece of cardboard belonging to Eddie Thomas (the 60-year-old) and the fight ensued, ending with Mr. Thomas’ jaw being broken by a punch from Sea. Police also discovered that Mr. Sea had an outstanding warrant for marijuana possession. He is currently housed in the county jail.
The Tampa Bay Times filed this video report on the tent city:
“Romneyville” is not far from the convention, but it is not exactly within the sight line of the delegates or politicians. Tampa’s WFTS-TV reports that 300 people are calling the camp home during the GOP’s big event. They appear to be a combination of protesters (many from out of town) and local homeless people.
The makeshift village in a city park has a rotating schedule for security patrols, as well as meal times and clean-up teams that use buckets of bleach and water to maintain a modicum of cleanliness with their plates and utensils.
The tent city also has a bus for storing food (donations come from many local churches and farmers). The bus arrived in July and was sparked locals to protest with the city.
Since the City of Tampa controls what happens in space considered to be a city park, it can decide the fate of the bus. A hearing was scheduled for this month and no final decision has yet been rendered.
But while Mr. Sea was the only arrest on Tuesday, that doesn’t mean unrest isn’t brewing. Earlier in the day, police in riot gear had to break up a confrontation between some of the protesters from Romneyville and members of the Westboro Baptist Church. The AP reports:
The anti-GOP protesters were marching from “Romneyville” toward the official protest zone created by the city when they clashed with members of the Westboro Baptist Church, which had been protesting homosexuality, Tampa police said. Church members also frequently picket funerals of military members.
After about 20 minutes, the half-dozen Westboro church members retreated from the protest area under police escort.
Tampa police said on its Twitter feed that officers separated the two groups for safety reasons. No one was arrested.
We’ll bring you arrest updates throughout the week.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 839 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 270 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 215 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 163 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Justin Bieber's monkey to become German property
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Former IRS commissioner heads to Hill amid scandal
- Policy, discretion guide media sources probes
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- O'Malley using agenda, fundraising to explore 2016