Conservative Billionaire Sheldon Adelson’s Daughter Allegedly Snatches Journalist’s Camera at GOP Convention
Billionaire casino mogul Sheldon Adelson’s daughter allegedly pushed the producer of “Democracy Now!” outside a sky box and then grabbed one of the show’s cameras and tried to take it into her father’s suite at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday night.
“Democracy Now!” senior producer Mike Burke said he was shouting questions at the billionaire conservative activist as he made his way to his suite in Tampa when Adelson’s daughter stepped in, apparently angry with his questioning.
“A woman that was standing right behind Sheldon Adelson, who we later learned that apparently was his daughter, she stopped, and then forcibly pushed herself back into me, where I lost my footing,” Burke said on today’s edition of “Democracy Now!”
Burke initially asks what Adelson thinks of the Romney/Ryan ticket. Adelson replied, “No comment.”
Watch some of the footage that aired today on “Democracy Now!” (The action starts at about 10:00):
“And then, from there, she went over to Hany Massoud, our cameraperson, and actually grabbed the camera… And she attempted to go into the suite, into the door, with the camera. Hany said something along the lines of, you know, ‘What are you doing? This is our camera.’ And then, at that point, she drops the camera on the ground, and you heard that sound,” Burke said.
Burke also said on the show that Adelson’s daughter, who they did not identify by name, later apologized to him.
“We believe in free access by the press and access to people of interest, but in general, members of the press should not push, shove or force any physical contact with anyone in an effort to conduct an interview,” a source close to the Adelson family told Politico. “We wish them the best in their continuing coverage of the event.”
Burke was not being exactly cordial, but he was attempting to ask Adelson how much money he was going to spend to support Republicans in the 2012 election, making references to the landmark Citizens United Supreme Court case. Politico reports that Adelson has donated roughly $55 million to conservative Super PACs and nonprofits so far in this election cycle.
“I mean, there was a reason we were trying to speak to him. You know, he’s pledged to spend as much as $100 million on this year’s campaign in, you know, an attempt to defeat President Obama. And this is really one of the most significant figures post-Citizens United,” Burke said.
In the landmark court case in 2010, the conservative advocacy group Citizens United won a Supreme Court case against the Federal Elections Committee dealing with federal restrictions on campaign contributions by corporations. Critics argue that the outcome has allowed big corporations to influence elections and wield power in politics.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 475 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 381 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 319 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 192 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 107 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Deliberations resume in Arias trial penalty phase
- 12-year-old Mass. boy wins National Geographic Bee
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Israeli air force chief warns of Syrian attacks
- Oklahoma City mayor says 12,000 to 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed by tornado