Matthews and Guest on GOP Racism: They’ve Been Saying ‘Chicago’ a Lot — And ‘There’s a Lot of Black People’ There
For most people, the word “Chicago” evokes images of the Cubs, the Blues Brothers, and really, really thick pizza. But apparently, MSNBC hosts aren’t like most people. You see, for someone like Chris Matthews, the word “Chicago,” when used in relation to President Barack Obama, is — wait for it — a racist dog whistle.
“It’s all part of this Barack Obama as ‘other’ sort of blanket campaign that has been waged by the Republican Party for some time now,” said the Washington Post’s Eugene Robinson during a Wednesday broadcast of MSNBC’s “Hardball with Chris Matthews.”
“It may be gaining some traction now, though I wonder why now as opposed to a bit closer to election,” he added.
Matthews was more than happy to expand on this point because, apparently, the rhetorical thumping he received on Monday from former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich left no impression on him.
“What about now, is this constant barrage of assaults, saying the guy is basically playing an old game of demagoguery politics, where you take the money from the worker bees and give it to the poor people to buy votes,” Matthews said. “That’s basically what they’re charging him with. Old big-style, big-city machine of 50 years ago.”
But here’s the fun part:
They keep saying Chicago by the way, have you noticed? They keep saying Chicago. That’s another thing that sends that message — “this guy’s helping the poor people in the bad neighborhoods, screwing us in the ‘burbs.”
Okay, we stand corrected. Here’s the fun part via New York Magazine’s John Heilemann: “There’s a lot of black people in Chicago.”
“Yeah, I think that may have something to do with it,” Matthews responded:
Actually, as NewsBuster’s Rusty Weiss notes, Heilemann’s “Captain Obvious” moment needs to be clarified a bit.
“According to the Census Bureau in 2010, the percentage of African-Americans in the city of Chicago was roughly 32.9%. The percentage of whites? 45.0%,” writes Weiss.
So, referring to a city where the population of white people outweighs black people is, um, racist and stuff?
Maybe — just maybe — the GOP is referring to Chicago’s history of political graft and the influence it may have had on the president and not the fact that, you know, “there’s a lot of black people” living in the Windy City.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
(H/T The Right Newz)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 398 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire