TX Mayor Killed in Freak Donkey-Trampling Accident
William Bohlke, mayor of Hollywood Park, Texas, (about 15 miles from San Antonio) was killed by a 500-pound donkey on Monday. The freak accident took place on Bohlke’s ranch and his body was discovered by Atascosa County officials around 10 hours after the attack took place.
Details are scarce and officials may not be able to garner a great deal of information, as it appears as though Bohlke was alone at the time of the incident. Authorities are saying that the donkey likely trampled and kicked the mayor to death between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. near his truck (the vehicle’s door was found open and the engine was running). The family will decide the animal’s fate, as the donkey is purportedly still roaming around the ranch.
“We’ll probably never know what triggered it, but it was evident that this particular donkey was involved, based on the evidence at the scene and what we saw on this donkey,” Atascosa County Chief Deputy David Soward said in an interview with the San Antonio Express-News.
Soward described some of the factors that may have played a role in the attack. He said that it’s not uncommon for donkeys to “become very aggressive” and “very mean.” Such behavior can be spawned by a female being in heat.
Bohlke’s family issued a statement on the city’s web site, explaining the incident and letting residents know that funeral arrangements are underway. The statement fails to mention the donkey attack.
“It is with great regret that we, the family of Bill Bohlke, wish to inform you of his passing last night, August 27th, 2012,” the statement reads, in part. “Bill suffered a fatal injury while taking care of his prized cow herd near Pleasanton last evening.”
The major was a retired Air Force pilot and a Vietnam War veteran. He left behind a wife and three children.
(H/T: Time Newsfeed)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 476 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 375 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 307 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 152 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 259 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 113 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 111 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Sweden's riots raise questions about inequality
- Military calls UK attack victim a model soldier
- Wyden: FracFocus 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Obama: Policy in leaks investigations under review
- Israel to discuss military draft reform proposal
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission