Chris Matthews: Romney Campaign Is ‘Race-Baiting’ & ‘Encouraging White Anger’ to Win in November
MSNBC’s Chris Matthews has been known to get emotional when discussing racism, with some — like Republican Rep. Allen West of Florida — wondering if he has taken his critiques and claims a bit too far (last week, West wondered if Matthews is “off his medications”).
While his past comments have been controversial to say the least, the host’s most recent rhetoric will surely rile his critics, who believe he’s too hard on the GOP and that he uses charges of racism and bigotry unfairly in his analysis.
Take, for instance, Matthews’ accusation this week that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s campaign is “encouraging white anger” in its push to win the White House come November. These controversial words were uttered by Matthews during an appearance with MSNBC host Andrea Mitchell on Monday afternoon. The Atlantic has more:
Chris Matthews accused the Romney campaign of “encouraging white anger” in order to win in November during an appearance with Andrea Mitchell live from Charlotte on Monday afternoon. Matthews pointed to Mitt’s use of a birther joke in Michigan, the campaign’s welfare ads, the voter I.D. laws that Republicans are pushing as evidence. “Those aren’t opinions. It’s factual,” Matthews told Andrea Mitchell after she tried to distance herself from his remarks.
Watch Matthews make this claim, below:
In another recent interview, he lambasted Republicans on their purported “race-baiting” and said that it is “disreputable for a presidential candidate to engage in race-baiting.” He also praised himself for allegedly sticking up for African Americans in the U.S., distinguishing himself as one of the only individuals in media to do so.
And, also on Monday, Matthews’ documentary about the president, “Barack Obama: Making History,” aired on the network. In it, the MSNBC host seemed enamored — as he has been in the past — by the president. Newsbusters has more about Matthews words in the film:
“President Obama is the product of our turbulent history, all that came before led to him,” Matthews insisted in the closing portion of his “Barack Obama: Making History” documentary that aired at 10 p.m. Eastern on Monday. As such, Obama “needs to continue making history,” for “the moment he becomes just another incumbent president, bogged down in the status quo, he will lose something vital since we first met him: his historic self.”
Clearly, Matthews sees himself as a positive force fighting against racism in the political schema. However, conservatives like West would point out that he’s taking his critiques too far and unfairly maligning conservatives in the process. What do you think? Let us know in the comments section.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire