Van Jones Gets Emotional Describing How Much He Loves Michelle Obama: ‘She Looks Like My Sister’
During CNN’s coverage of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, former White House advisor Van Jones nearly broke down emotionally as he talked about his feelings for first Lady Michelle Obama with host Pete Dominick.
Dominick, discussing Michelle Obama’s upcoming address to the DNC, said he is a “sycophant” of the first lady, focusing mainly on her skin color.
“I love this woman. She has inspired me. She has inspired my wife. But, more than anything, I feel like she’s inspired, certainly, young black girls in America. And, she’s also given America a different image of black woman that might have been played out in the media or even in television,” Dominick said.
The host then turned to Jones and asked him how important it is to have a woman like Michelle Obama representing black women across the United States.
“I’m sitting here getting emotional,” said Jones, his voice starting to crack. “A lot of people are going to get misty.”
“She looks like my sister,” Jones added. “I have a sister who is the same height, the same spirit, the same complexion.”
“It’s almost impossible to describe what it feels like to have somebody like her stand up and speaking for America,” he said, even more emotion in the his voice. “Because, there is this image of what beauty is supposed to be – of who’s supposed to be up there. And she comes out there with such dignity, and with such poise, and with such class.”
The former “green jobs” czar also said “dark-skinneded” [sic] black women like Michelle Obama and his sister have not always been considered traditionally beautiful, however, the first lady has changed all that.
Watch the segment via Mediaite/CNN:
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 440 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 421 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 396 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 158 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 241 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 261 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Emails show AEG lawyer called Jackson a 'freak'
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Talk of lies, pride as Trump case goes to jury
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes