DNC Allegedly Rejects Gifts & Volunteers From Christian Churches Over Pro-Life Views: ‘Spitting in God’s Face’
Some shocking claims are coming from church leaders in Charlotte, North Carolina. Select congregations are alleging that the Democratic National Committee banned dozens of houses of worship from giving gifts and writing letters to convention attendees over the fact that they hold views that run contrary to the party’s platform.
The incident came as a surprise to Charlotte714, a local religious movement comprised of more than 100 churches. Most recently, the group came together to pray for the convention and its participants. As a result of its efforts, 9,000 people joined together in worship and prayer last Sunday, just two days prior to the Democratic National Convention’s launch.
Despite this support, the Democratic Party is purportedly uninterested in what the Christians are offering.
“They told us our views on women’s rights are contrary to the Democratic party platform,” David Benham, lead organizer of the Charlotte714, told FOX News’ Todd Starnes.
Benham explained that 56 churches were hoping to help out during the convention through a special “Adopt-a-Delegation” program. So, they organized gift baskets and penned a letter welcoming delegates to the city; they also offered to help out with childcare, transportation and other related matters.
However, the gift baskets were rejected, the Christians claim. While Benham said the faith leaders were merely trying to “display Southern hospitality,” the efforts fell flat.
“I got a call from the mayor’s office speaking on behalf of the convention and they asked us not to participate,” he told Starnes. “I was blown away and could not believe it.”
In an effort to keep the lines of communication open, Benham claims he asked if the churches, which are generally all mainline denominations, could at least send welcome letters to the delegates. Again, he was turned down, this time being purportedly given the reason that the churches’ pro-life values posed a ideological conflict.
This was curious, seeing as the letters allegedly didn’t have any political or pro-life messages present within them. Instead, they were purportedly meant to simply welcome participants to the region. Despite the fallout, Benham said numerous groups will continue praying for the Democrats.
Of the recent announcement that “God” was removed from the party’s platform, though, he was candid.
“The Democrats have spit in the face of God, they spit in the face of unborn children, they spit in the face of marriage,” he said. “They are spitting in God’s face. Americans need to rise up and see to it they have their day and are escorted out of power in this country.”
The DNC has not commented on the matter.
(H/T: Fox News Radio)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 498 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 468 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 333 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 187 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 130 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 123 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
- Obama sees narrower terror threat, defends drones
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
- Kingston leads BMW PGA Championship
- House backs variable rate student loans
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Tea party vs. old guard in Senate GOP rift