Ever Notice How Michelle and Barack Have the Same Campaign Trail Stutter? We Created a Video Comparison
TheBlaze’s Brendan Awerbuch contributed to this report.
Those who tuned in to Michelle Obama’s speech at the Democratic National Convention Tuesday may have experienced a strange sense of familiarity. Not because she has been in the national spotlight for the past four years, but because she bore a striking resemblance to her famous husband in speech and gesture.
Perhaps it is the natural result of being together for decades. Perhaps the famous orator coached her before her speech. Either way, the similarity was uncanny.
First and foremost, as Gawker noted, the first lady spoke with a feigned stutter. The admittedly left-leaning Gawker author writes:
Michelle Obama stutters. She does not have a stutter. She stutters on purpose. “I-I-I, I’ve seen it in our men and women in uniform.” “Fr-from the young person with so much promise.” “And-and, even as a kid…”
It is a studied stutter, deployed in order to build sincerity. It is not so much a rhetorical device as an acting device. The same could be said for the presentation of almost all political convention speeches. And it is, at its core, sad.
And if you’ve listened to Barack at all over the years, you’d know he has the same thing. Don’t believe us? Here is a side-by-side example:
But the similarities don’t end there. Viewers also may have noticed on Tuesday that Michelle uses very familiar hand gestures to Barack:
And in what was perhaps the strongest resemblance, the first lady used the words “I” and “me” a staggering number of times. According to Keith Koffler, she used the two words 83 times in her 25-minute speech, or roughly 3 times a minute.
Her husband is famous for a similarly self-centered rhetorical style. In a 25-minute speech in July, for instance, President Obama referred to himself 117 times, according to CNS News. Mathematically, this means the president used the words “I” or “me” roughly 13.09 seconds.
Here is a montage of the two:
A number of people are starting to pick up on the similarities, in particular Michelle Obama’s newly-developed stutter.
Eddie Scarry compiled a list:
TIME‘s White House Correspondent Michael Scherer tweeted, “Michelle Obama’s rhetorical style leans on the intentionally stuttered word.”
Similarly, New York magazine editor Dan Amira said, “Michelle Obama’s speech would have been better if she didn’t fake-stutter every sentence for dramatic effect.”
Going balls to the wall, TWT columnist Mary Beth Hicks tweeted, “The stuttering is SO EFFING FAKE.” And Twitter personality Gourmet Spud concurred, asserting, “Michelle Obama is a great speaker, but she uses that annoying fake-stutter-at-start-of-sentence way too much.”
What did you think of the speech? Did you think the stutter was fake? If so, was it effective?
Take our poll, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 503 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 389 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 387 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 201 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 139 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 101 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Milestones for Guantanamo Bay detention center
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set
- Shelton, Underwood coming to aid of Oklahomans
- Procter & Gamble brings back A.G. Lafley as CEO
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Maine governor moves out of office over TV dispute
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Belmoktar claims responsibility for Niger attack