Joe Scarborough on DNC Vote Flap: ‘The Dude Needs a Hearing Aid’
Joe Scarborough told the chairman of the Democratic National Convention he needed a hearing aid after declaring that the amendment reinstating platform language about Jerusalem and God had passed despite clear opposition.
A two-thirds majority was required to amend the Democratic platform, and convention chairman Antonio Villaraigosa held three voice votes Wednesday after the yeas and nays sounded equally loud.
“The dude needs a hearing aid. That was not two-thirds of the people. They set you up, man. They set you up,” Scarborough told the Los Angeles mayor on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” Thursday.
“Thankfully I got to make the decision and not you,” Villaraigosa said.
Villaraigosa said the decision to amend the platform was made because President Barack Obama “wanted a platform that reflected his values.”
“In counter-distinction to Mitt Romney, who said he didn’t agree with his platform on the issue of abortion, when the president heard about and saw that the plank didn’t reflect who he was, his policies and positions, he said ‘I want a change.’ That’s decisive action,” Villaraigosa said.
The Obama administration has actually said the capital of Israel should be determined through negotiations.
The mayor said when the amendment was put up for a voice vote, “the first time, it was clear to me that we they had a majority vote. I wanted to make sure that every voice was heard.”
“They were heard!” Scarborough cut in, laughing.
Villaraigosa pointed out that dissenters had 10 minutes afterward to make an objection, but “nobody objected.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,041 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Investors edgy ahead of Bernanke testimony
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
- Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike in prison
- Germany backs terror label for Hezbollah militants
- Germany celebrates composer Wagner's 200th
- Ahead of the Bell: HP's 2Q results likely to sag
- Kenya's truth report: Killings, land grabs, graft