Did You Catch Biden Misusing the Word ‘Literally’ Throughout His Entire DNC Speech?
Vice President Joe Biden took the stage last night in an effort to rally the Democratic masses. His goal? To bolster President Barack Obama’s electoral chances (we fact-checked some of his statements earlier this morning). While there were some noteworthy stretches of the truth presented in his speech, Biden didn’t appear, on the surface, to make any major gaffes — that is, until some journalists watching his address realized that he was misusing the word “literally.”
Apparently, Biden improperly used the word numerous times throughout his speech. “Literally,” which means “in a literal manner” or “exactly” is regularly confused as meaning “virtually” or “nearly,” The Huffington Post reports. So, when making figurative statements, it’s a poor word to use.
Watch a video compilation of Biden’s “literally” bloopers, below:
The Obama camp apparently sought to capitalize on Biden’s errors. The Washington Post reports that the campaign purchased a Twitter ad based on the vice-president’s usage of the word:
Vice President Biden’s frequent use of the word “folks” and frequently incorrect use of the words “literally” during his acceptance speech Wednesday earned him lots of mockery on Twitter.
It appears someone in the Obama campaign noticed. They took out an ad on the term “literally” on Twitter, so that searches for the term turn up a promoted tweet by @BarackObama.
Thesaurus.com lists several synonyms for “literally”—“actually, completely, correctly, direct, directly, faithfully, indisputably, letter by letter, literatim, not figuratively, plainly, precisely, really, rightly, rigorously, sic, simply, straight, strictly, to the letter, truly, undeviatingly, undisputably, unerringly, unmistakably, verbatim, veritably”—but none of these, with the exception of the hilarious and criminally underused “not figuratively,” has the poetry of its synonymic sibling.Go ahead and say it.
After all, in Biden’s defense, it’s a common mistake to make. What do you think? Read more about the use of “literally” and “figuratively” here and let us know in the comments section, below.
(H/T: The Huffington Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 580 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 518 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 494 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 385 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 313 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US