Flashback: Obama Scoffed at Bush Jobs Report Showing Gain of 300K
Thanks to some deep digging by BuzzFeed’s Andrew Kaczynski, here are two clips of a younger Barack Obama explaining why a jobs report issued under then-President George W. Bush showing a gain of 300,000 is somehow indicative of poor economic policies.
Here’s a 2004 radio address:
And here’s a television interview where he repeats the same thing:
You know why this is funny, right?
U.S. employers added only 96,000 jobs last month (9,000 of which were striking utilities workers returning to work), the unemployment rate fell to 8.1 percent from 8.3 percent in July, and 368,000 Americans exited the work force, TheBlaze reported earlier this morning.
By any measure, it’s a pretty dismal report, right? Well, not if you’re currently employed by the White House [emphasis added]:
While there is more work that remains to be done, today’s employment report provides further evidence that the U.S. economy is continuing to recover from the worst downturn since the Great Depression. It is critical that we continue the policies that are building an economy that works for the middle class as we dig our way out of the deep hole that was caused by the severe recession that began in December 2007.
Okay, perhaps we need to sit down and have a discussion on the meaning of the words “recover” and “build” because we seem to be losing something in translation. What next? Is the White House going to tell us to not read too much into –
As the Administration stresses every month, the monthly employment and unemployment figures can be volatile, and employment estimates can be subject to substantial revision. Therefore, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report and it is informative to consider each report in the context of other data that are becoming available.
Okay, at what point after 42 straight months of unemployment above eight percent should we start “reading into” these reports? Here, let’s try to visualize what’s going on. First, here’s a 14-year trend for the employment-population ratio [via Hot Air]:
“These two charts measure the workforce as a percentage of the population — which accounts for population growth as well as job creation,” Ed Morrissey writes. “Both are not only dropping, the civilian participation rate dropped faster and farther during the recovery than it did during the recession.”
And just for fun, here’s a graph showing the difference between the jobs report senatorial candidate Obama scoffed at and the report that just came out this morning:
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
This story has been updated.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools