U.S. Designates Pakistan-Based Haqqani Network a ‘Terrorist Organization’
The Obama administration on Friday formally designated the Pakistan-based Haqqani network — responsible for high-profile attacks on U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan — as a terrorist organization, a move some say could put U.S.-Pakistani ties in an even more precarious position.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton signed a report to Congress Friday morning stating the Haqqani network “meets the statutory criteria for designation as a foreign terrorist organization,” a U.S. official speaking on condition of anonymity told the Associated Press.
Clinton did so two days ahead of a congressional deadline set in July to try to spur the Obama administration into imposing on the group the blanket financial sanctions that come with the terrorist designation. The U.S. had already placed sanctions on individual Haqqani leaders and has been targeting its members militarily, but had held off on formally labeling it a terrorist group, according to the AP.
“We are drying up their resources, we are targeting their military and intelligence personnel and we are pressing the Pakistanis to step up their own efforts,” Clinton said earlier this month.
The Taliban- and Al-Qaeda-affiliated Haqqanis have been blamed for a September 2011 assault on the U.S. Embassy and NATO headquarters in Kabul and other strikes throughout the country. According to the New York Times, U.S. officials say Pakistan’s intelligence agency is secretly aiding the Haqqanis, a charge Pakistanis deny.
A senior Pakistani official told Reuters blacklisting the group would be counterproductive and put increased pressure on the Pakistani government.
“If the United States wants to have a constructive relationship with Pakistan, then this is a bad move,” the official said. “This will push Pakistan into a corner.”
According to the New York Times, “many” senior officials, including some in the White House, expressed reservations about the designation out of concern about further souring relations with Pakistan, putting peace talks with the Taliban at risk and potentially putting Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only American soldier known to be held by the Haqqanis, in jeopardy.
But Supporters of the designation won out, with one senior administration official telling the Times it is a “very strong signal of our resolve to combat the Haqqanis.”
“This shows that we are using everything we can to put the squeeze on these guys,” another administration official said.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 562 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 486 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 342 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 244 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 239 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations