See the Pictures From Inside the Racy ‘GoGo for Obama’ Event at a NYC Gay Bar (Content Warning: Including USA Flag Thong!)
A number of Obama supporters gathered in New York City over the weekend to fundraise for Obama in a rather unconventional fashion.
Congregating in what the Washington Post described as a “grungy gay bar” in Manhattan’s East Village, patrons paid a $100 cover charge before entering into a world of scantily clad dancers and Obama paraphernalia.
According to the New York Post, the bar is co-owned by Anderson Cooper’s boyfriend, but the CNN host did not make an appearance.
Here is the cover photo on the website for “Eastern Bloc” bar:
The Washington Post describes the event:
The fundraiser, hosted by a gaggle of models, fashion editors and socialites, is just one of hundreds of such small, grass-roots events organized by individual donors and held throughout campaign season in private homes or during backyard barbecues. Saturday’s soiree proved that with broad support from new interest groups comes a new breed of campaign fundraiser — a kind that might make some buttoned-up campaign types wince.
The crowd of about 150 Obama supporters was cordial and relaxed, a mix of friends and fashion types, partying alongside male dancers wearing Obama ’08 boxer briefs (or, as one did, an American flag-themed thong) stuffed with the requisite $1 bills. (Only door proceeds went to the reelection fund; dancers kept their tips.) [Emphasis added]
We can’t know for sure, but the boxers could have looked something like this:
Mickey Boardman, editorial director for New York’s independent Paper Magazine, helped organize the event, and has been tweeting about it for days:
It’s unclear which dancer was wearing the American flag thong, but this is one of the more disturbing photos from the event that was published (TheBlaze has chosen to blur the image, but warning that the photo located at the link has not been altered):
Dancers were apparently able to see massive photos of the president and first lady while dancing:
Despite some of the shocking pictures, the event’s organizers say they tried to refrain from advertising the night as too graphic in order to prevent Republicans from “[jumping] on it…as some sex party.”
The Washington Post has more on the fundraiser’s inception, and how the planning committee worked with Democratic officials to navigate confusing finance laws:
“We do these parties for gay porn stars at Eastern Bloc whenever [they’re] in town from L.A.,” said Boardman. “It’s always a room of Village gays, socialites, porn stars, fashion people. . . . We thought, ‘Why don’t we do a go-go thing at Eastern Bloc for [Obama]?’ ”
And Wikle said the host committee was diligent in its two months of planning, working with Democratic officials to navigate campaign finance law, something that the organizers knew little about. Wikle said officials told the host committee it couldn’t have liquor sponsors or an open bar. [Emphasis added]
Guests were reported to include former New York Ranger Sean Avery and Karen Elson, the ex-wife of the White Stripes’ Jack White.
The Obama campaign has not released a statement on the event and, according to the Washington Post, will only investigate it if it receives a disproportionate wave of complaints.
“We’re not Anna Wintour,” Marjorie Gubelmann, an organizer of the Eastern Bloc event, explained. “We just wanted to throw a small party where our friends could have fun.”
- ‘Creepy’? Joe Biden Cuddles Up to Female Biker During Ohio Campaign Stop
- George Clooney to Host Another Obama Fundraiser — This Time in Switzerland
- Famous Drill Instructor Says Geico Fired Him for Criticizing Obama Admin.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 419 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 371 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 297 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 106 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 210 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 170 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senators warm to transportation nominee
- Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- HP's slumps deepens in 2Q as earnings fall 32 pct
- Faith healers charged with murder after 2nd death
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
- Soldier charged with videotaping women