Wis. Police Release Dramatic Footage Showing Shootout With Sikh Temple Gunman
OAK CREEK, Wis. (TheBlaze/AP) — A white supremacist who killed a half-dozen people at a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee last month chased down the first police officer on the scene, pumping round after round into him as he lay wounded behind a parked car, video released Monday showed.
Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards played the video from Lt. Brian Murphy’s squad car before telling reporters that Murphy was shot 15 times, not nine as authorities previously said. His armored vest stopped three of the rounds, Edwards said.
Murphy was shot while tending to two victims of Wade Michael Page’s Aug. 5 rampage at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin. Page, a 40-year-old Army veteran, opened fire with a 9 mm pistol shortly before Sunday services were to begin. He killed six worshippers and wounded four others, including Murphy, before killing himself.
Page’s motive in the shooting spree remains unclear. The FBI is investigating, but U.S. Attorney James Santelle said it could be weeks or months before the agency releases any conclusions.
The squad car video shows a second officer arriving seconds after Page chased down Murphy. Officer Sam Lenda and Page exchange fire, and then Page, barely discernible in the distance, takes a round in the stomach and topples over. A final shot rings out as Page shoots himself in the head.
“Our police officers handled themselves in a professional and heroic manner,” Oak Creek Mayor Steve Scaffidi said at the news conference where the footage was released. “Their actions probably saved lives.”
Police released about one minute of footage from Murphy’s squad car and about three minutes from Lenda’s in response to an open records request from The Associated Press and others.
Murphy’s dashboard-mounted camera shows him speeding to the temple and pulling into the sun-splashed parking lot. He stops in front of two victims, whose bodies were obscured before the video was released. Murphy can be seen on the edge of the screen with his .45-caliber pistol drawn, speaking into his radio.
Edwards told reporters Murphy reported he couldn’t see the shooter, had discovered victims and needed an ambulance.
The video then shows Page, dressed in a white shirt and black pants, bursting out of the temple. Murphy spots him and raises his gun. Page runs out of the frame and Murphy rolls for cover behind a parked car, disappearing from view. Page then jogs back into the frame and walks quickly toward Murphy, shooting out the back windshield of a nearby car before moving off-screen again.
Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm said Murphy was hit in the cheek as he rolled for cover and the bullet entered his throat. He tried to raise his gun again, but Page shot him in the thumb, knocking the weapon away. Then Page closed in on Murphy, firing from about 10 feet away, Chisholm said. Murphy told investigators he remembered wondering when Page would run out of ammunition.
“There’s a deliberateness about him,” Chisholm said of Page. “He intended to kill him.”
Murphy did not attend the news conference. He was released from a hospital Aug. 22 and is recovering at home. Edwards said previously that Murphy can speak only in a whisper after being hit in the throat.
The video from Lenda’s squad car shows him arriving about 10 seconds after Murphy was shot, bouncing over a median and into the temple’s driveway. Page sees Lenda’s vehicle and starts walking toward him.
Lenda, a police firearms instructor, throws the car into reverse and then moves forward again before stopping about 60 yards from Page. Lenda said he got out of the squad and hid behind the door with his AR-15 rifle.
Lenda can be heard in the video yelling several times at Page to drop his gun. Page fires and a portion of Lenda’s windshield over the steering wheel explodes. Lenda fires six times at Page, who starts walking to his left and then abruptly falls over. A final shot can be heard at the end of the video as Lenda shouts at other officers, asking if they can see Page and if he’s crawling.
“He had to be stopped and that’s why I decided to shoot,” Lenda said Monday. “I’m just an officer who did my job.”
Watch the raw dash cam video here (WARNING! Contains graphic content):
TMJ4 in Milwaukee has more analysis:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 515 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 475 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 219 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election