Oil Tycoon T. Boone Pickens: Romney Will do Something About Energy Independence, Obama Just Wants to Talk Taxes
Billionaire oil tycoon and Wall Street legend T. Boone Pickens said during an interview on CNBC that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is better suited than his opponent to deal with America’s energy issues because all President Obama wants to do is “talk his tax.”
But before we move forward, it should be noted that Pickens is a major proponent of cheap and clean alternative fuel sources. In fact, in his own words, he’s “lost [his] ass” investing in wind energy. Therefore, it would seem Pickens’ support for Mitt Romney has less to do with partisan politics or protecting the oil industry than it does with his genuine invested desire to see the U.S. succeed in terms of energy independence.
The CNBC anchor started out by discussing President Obama’s claim that he has reduced oil imports by one million barrels a day and his stated goal of cutting total imports in half by 2020.
The host asked Pickens if this was a reasonable and/or realistic promise.
“The president has talked about a lot of things, one of them is cutting imports. He had nothing to do with that. Actually — well, maybe he did,” said Pickens.
The economy’s poor and that will get you less imports. So, I can tell [Obama], you can cut imports further if you have the — if the economy gets worse.
Here you are. You’ve got 30 producing states, producing oil and gas in the United States. That’s the greatest number we’ve ever had. The 30 producing states can decide this election and some of those are Pennsylvania, Ohio, Colorado, New Mexico, West Virginia.
All of those are key swing states and it would surprise me if any of those states, when they realize that Governor Romney has a plan, Governor Romney, I think, will carry his plan out and that is to advance alternative energy for transportation, which is natural gas. Now, when you — you know, 70 percent of all the oil used every day in the world goes to transportation fuel. Wind and solar, great sources of energy, but have nothing to do with imported oil.
Pickens went on to explain why he doesn’t believe President Obama will address the issue of energy independence.
“So, President Obama talks about wind and solar all the time, but what you’ve got to do is develop resources in this country. We have those resources and you can get off OPEC oil,” the billionaire tycoon said.
“So I believe what you’re going to see in Governor Romney, he’s going to step up with a plan and he’s going to carry it out. Remember, President Obama’s had four years to do something and nothing has been done. All he wants to do is talk his tax,” he added.
“He says the industry’s doing well but we should tax them more. Tax them more, they’re doing well. I can tell you, you tax them, you will cut the activity dramatically with taxes on the oil and gas industry”:
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Front page photo courtesy the AP.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 980 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 426 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 378 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 291 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 137 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 173 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids