L.A. Library Cards Could Soon Double as Debit Cards, Official ID for Illegal Aliens
One of the most contentious debates at the moment surrounds the issue of voter ID laws and what is deemed an appropriate form of identification to present at the polling stations. The topic was propelled into the public awareness after serious instances of voter-fraud benefiting then-Democratic candidate Barack Obama cropped up during the 2008 election and has gained momentum ever since.
Opponents of voter ID laws complain that it is difficult and expensive for minorities and those at the poverty level to obtain official State IDs, thus the move is a way for Republicans to disenfranchise these contingents and alienate them from the voting boots. In a previous post, TheBlaze uncovered, however, that official state IDs cost an average of $10 and are even in some instances. It should also be noted that every citizen is by law required to carry a current, valid state ID card if not a driver’s license. But nonetheless, the battle between both sides of the political aisle wages on, and the City of Los Angeles has added fuel to the fire by lowering the standards of proper, “official” identification even further.
CBS Los Angeles reports that library cards in the City of Angels could soon double as official documentation — and what’s more, even debit cards — for illegal aliens residing there. The cards would allegedly include space for a name, photo and address. Of course, protests are ensuing as L.A. City Council members review the plan. Critics say the move would encourage illegal immigration.
“We’re all immigrants from another country. But, however, it is giving them the opportunities that even some Americans don’t have, so…that’s kind of controversial,” West Hills resident Melanie Levine said.
CBS provides additional details:
Officials said the card would help approximately 300,000 L.A. residents who don’t have bank accounts or debit cards. The city would work with a private vendor to set up bank accounts for people who want to use the library card as a debit card.
Oakland and San Francisco have already implemented the library card plan.
“As long as it helps them integrate into society in a legal way, and is a program and method to help them become legal, then, that’s fine,” said North Hollywood resident David Goes, adding, “But, if it’s to have them get in the door and slide under, without a lot of responsibility…you can’t have liberty without responsibility, and that’s the issue.”
Councilman Richard Alarcon proposed the idea, saying it would promote financial literacy among immigrants. He also said the card would stop scams and robberies among his constituents who don’t use banks.
According to CBS, all eligibility entails is to provide proof of L.A. residency, something that is very easy to fabricate, according to critics.
You can watch the report below:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 472 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 424 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 101 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested