Hobby Lobby Becomes Largest Company to Sue Over ‘Obamacare’ Birth Control Mandate
Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., the privately held arts and crafts retail chain, on Wednesday filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration for its controversial HHS mandate requiring that all employers provide birth control coverage to their employees.
“By being required to make a choice between sacrificing our faith or paying millions of dollars in fines, we essentially must choose which poison pill to swallow,” said CEO and founder David Green. “We simply cannot abandon our religious beliefs to comply with this mandate.”
How much did Green say his company would have to pay in fines?
“David Green … says he’ll have to pay as much as $1.3 million in daily fines if he doesn’t pay for types of contraception he and other evangelicals morally oppose, including the so-called ‘morning after’ pill [emphasis added],” the Washington Times reports.
What’s notable about Mr. Green’s decision is that not only is Hobby Lobby now the largest company to sue the Obama administration’s over its HHS mandate, but it’s also the first non-Catholic-owned business to do so.
And Mr. Green certainly runs a Christian-style business.
Hobby Lobby stores are never open on Sunday and the chain’s website attributes its continued success to its practice of “honoring the Lord in a manner consistent with biblical principles.”
“Washington politicians cannot force families to abandon their faith just to earn a living,” said Lori Windham, Senior Counsel, Becket Fund for Religious Liberty. “Every American, including family business owners like the Greens, should be free to live and do business according to their religious beliefs.”
Started in 1972 in a 300-square-foot retail space in Oklahoma, Mr. Green’s business has grown into a nationwide enterprise that spans more than 40 states.
“It is by God’s grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured,” said Green. “Therefore we seek to honor God by operating the company in a manner consistent with Biblical principles.”
“The conflict for me is that our family is being forced to choose between following the laws of the country that we love or maintaining the religious beliefs that have made our business successful and have supported our family and thousands of our employees and their families,” he added.
Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. filed its lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma.
“There are now 28 separate lawsuits challenging the HHS mandate, which is a regulation under the Affordable Care Act (aka ‘Obamacare’),” according to a press release from the non-profit, public-interest law firm The Becket Fund.
“These HHS challenges were not affected by the Supreme Court’s June 28th ruling on the constitutionality of the ‘individual mandate,’” the release adds.
No word yet on whether federal officials have issued an apology for hurting Mr. Green’s religious feelings.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 481 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 426 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 388 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 311 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 115 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 113 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 219 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 204 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- School storm protection is spotty in tornado zones
- Obama threatens veto of House student loan plan
- House committee passes Iran sanctions legislation
- London terror attack leaves 1 dead near barracks
- Facebook posts: Suit filed over vet's detention
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Target's 1Q profit drops 29 pct on weak sales
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles of govt travelers